Pen/pencil barrel size for stroke victims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Somebody asked that when I start to produce pens/pencils, that I find a design or style that would be comfortable/easy for the person to grip and write with. For people that have had mild strokes and only have partial strength on their writing side, hand.

It got me thinking that it should be a larger dia in the gripping area and not to smooth. As my mother had a stroke and the right side is weaker than the left, of course she writes with her right hand. She has put the white adhesive bandage tape on one pen so it doesn't slip out of her hand.

Anybody have any experience or are there some examples on the forum?
:clown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Here's how I did it.....

Here's a pen I did for a friend that has arthritis, it may give you some ideas. I put modeling clay around a slimline pen and had the person grip it and mold the clay until it was comfortable. One side has a large indentation for the thumb, the other a ridge between the index and middle fingers. Then I carved a wooden copy of the clay and assembled it on a slimline kit.
txbob

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 204
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 180
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 228

MarkD

I was asked to make a pen for an ex teacher that had issues with holding small pens. Since the woman loved teacher pens I made one in a larger size. I worked with her to come up with a size that was comfortable for her. Since it was a teacher pen the variations in diameters also her her grip the pen.
Here is what I came up with.

DSC02798.JPG

KBs Pensnmore

I don't know if you have them over there, a pen with a rubber grip, commonly refered to as a Comfort Pen. Using Slime Line tubes I've done a few for clients at the local Day Centre (unfortunately no pics) but just above the rubber I come out to about 3/4 - 1" which is a good size for them to grip.
If any one wants the rubbers I've about 150 of them for free, Postage included, you take the lot though.
slimline tube.
Kryn

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
There used to be a Havana pen that was perfect for a stroke victim. I've sold a couple for this purpose. Hope you find something. I would be interested in knowing also.

biednick

Maybe try something like the large click pen from psi, i thing its the gardian. It has a rubber grip, large size, and the click might be easyer than twisting.

Top Bottom