Pen Names

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

Does anyone have a list out their that matches the pens from different companies. Ex.- I turn European style from Woodcraft. What are the pens from the other companies that use the same bushings? Thanks for replys in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Welcome to the forum coach. I don't know of any list like that. You probably should avoid trying to mix and match parts from different vendors, IMHO.

G

You would be hard pressed to guarantee that the same 2 pens from different manufacturers would use the same bushings.
In the same vein though rare ,you also may have a problem with all kits from one manufacturer in the same style will always fit the "correct" bushings.
Bushings are a wear item and should be replaced.
On more expensive kits it's a good idea to check the bushings against the componesnts any way.

Gregory Huey

I don't know of any such list but would'nt think it would be hard to start one. For me the bushing is nothing more than to hold th blanks in place on the lathe. I use micrometers to fit the center bands,etc.

coach

I am located near San Antonio, Texas. I am currently making slimline and European style pens from Woodcraft. What are some other pens I might enjoy making using a 7mm bit, and not changing mandrels?

I have had my lathe one week and already sold 8 pens and have three more to make today for an order. Making pens really relaxes me and is very satisfying.

dougle40

If you go to CSUSA site , they allow you to download all the instructions so you can decide which kits to go with .
About the only manufacturer that I know of that requires you to change mandrels is Berea and they have 2 different sizes .
CSUSA's link is below .
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/pen_kits.html

G

Check thread on this forum started by Bluesfan
There's a refrence to Russ Fairfields site.
There's a lot of things you can do witha slim line
2005126182846_antlercasing6%20001.jpg

jkirkb94

Coach, so far I have found that the cigar bushings from Woodcraft and PSI seem to be interchangable. The Woodcraft are beefier but the diameters seem to be the same. Haven't actually got out calipers though. Kirk[8D]

ldimick

Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Coach, so far I have found that the cigar bushings from Woodcraft and PSI seem to be interchangable. The Woodcraft are beefier but the diameters seem to be the same. Haven't actually got out calipers though. Kirk[8D]

I believe the perfume pen and perfume holders from Woodcraft and CSUSA are the same.

Fleabit

Welcome to the forums Coach. I was in the same situation as you are. Just got started and wanted to minimize drill bits, kits, bushings, etc. Piece of advice?.....forget it. It gets into your blood and you just have to make bigger and better and diferrent pens. It is an addiction. If you are already selling pens, than you are going to get customers asking for certain pens that will require you to get the materials and components. Interchanging manufactures is a hit and miss. I just went ahead and buy the "kits" that include the bits and bushings. Cheaper and usually the sale of the pen(s) pay for the extra costs. Trust me, you will move on to bigger and better. As for the list, that has been a long asked for item. The bullet pen was just recently (couple days) discussed in one of the threads. I think it was under cartridge pens. Anyhooo,,,, I have bored you enough with my babble.....welcome and good luck on your future pens.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi coach and welcome. We've got a member from back here in Virginia who is looking for a Justice of the Peace to marry he and his lady later on this year. Do you happen to know of one in the San Antonio area?

G

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Hi coach and welcome. We've got a member from back here in Virginia who is looking for a Justice of the Peace to marry he and his lady later on this year. Do you happen to know of one in the San Antonio area?
Good catch Lou.

G

Originally posted by coach
<br />eaglesc,
Would you let me know how to make one of those? What caliber casing and how do you make it work? I have to make myself one of those!! Thanks!
Coach-
Please don't misunderstand how I word this.
The antler part is easy,but the casing part the way I do it is more difficult than the way others have done it.
Check some posts by lower 48.
There's different ways to do different things to get the same end result.
I've only been making pens sice june 05 and I have been wanting to make a casing pen for a while.I used a thought process to work out each stumbling block as I came upon it.
Sor far the results are decent but the meathod needs to be improved.
These would be a lot esier if I had a machine lathe.

I would not attempt to make one the way I do after 8 slimlines.
That being said if you really want to make one using the meathod I do you'll figure most of it out yourself, and if you hit a wall,I MAY be able to answer some questions.
I am by no means any kind of a pen GURU.
I just attempt to solve problems as they come up once I get an idea or design.
I will tell you a 30-06 or 300 magnum is a good fit for a slim line nib.
At least that's what I have forund so far , htere may be others.
THose are what I have scrounged up.
I don't know anything about firearms.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Be aware that all pens that look alike may not be. It isn't at all unusual for two pens that are identical in appearance, but from different companies, to have a slight difference in the length or diameters of their brass tubes. 0.003" or 0.004" difference in diameter may not seem like a lot, but it can be the difference between too tight and a sloppy fit when it comes to pressing the fittings into the ends of the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom