Pen Mills (pilot shafts)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

Fellow Crazy People,

I am currently loking around the CSUSA site and am about to pull my hair out and run around in circles screaming madly. Well, I actually do that often, so CSUSA has nothing to do with it. BUT....

I am getting a headache while trying to find drill bits for their kits. 15/32" bits I can get ANYWHERE (sizes up to 1/2" are abundant, but anything over that usually come only in a few common sizes) but trying to find 35/64" (Imperial and Lotus) and 37/64" (Gentlemen's, Statesman, Lotus) is beginning to hurt. BUT, that's not the subject of this thread either...

CSUSA sells pen mill pilot shafts in 15/32" and 37/64", but I can't find a listing for a 35/64" anywhere on the site. This begs two questions:

1) Why the heck do they not sell a pen mill to match their highest-end kits? (!!!); and,

2) What do you fine people use to trim up/ream your Imperial/Lotus kits?

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Solutions to my drill bit problem gratefully accepted as well. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I use a piece of delrin (or similar) and turn down to size for 7mm shafts...they're cheap, replaceable, and you only have to keep 7mm shafts (no changing trimmer heads, either!)

rjwolfe3

Daniel can help you with the drill bits.

As for the pen mill shaft, have you considered turning down a piece of hardwood or corian on a 7mm tube and using that as an insert?

AlexL

Hi Gary, I got my 37/64th bit from Arizona Silhouette.

http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=594

PSI has them in stock too.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-3764.html

For the pen mill I turn a piece of 3/4" delrin rod from smallparts.com to size to make custom mill inserts.
http://www.smallparts.com/Delrin-Ac..._s=center-3&pf_rd_m=AIUBT5HP6PMAF&pf_rd_t=301

CSUSA sells small delrin blanks to make your own mill inserts.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...rimmer_Adapter_Blank___barrel_trim_adapt?Args=

Last edited:

nava1uni

I turn Delrin, Corian down to the size I need. Drill it beforehand to 7mm and only need one cutter head. I also use nylon inserts that you can buy at the hardware store, they are drilled to 1/4", which is close and these come in various lengths, inexpensive. I also use these as spacers when making shorter pens, etc.

GaryMadore

Thanks for the tips on inserts, guys. I've seen references to them before, but I tend to be a bit sloppy with my epoxy and so was hoping for a ready-made (and sharp) mill shaft.

I guess I'll have to clean up my technique and make an insert (groan).

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary (I'll check into your drill bit suggestions right away - thanks again)

Daniel

Gary for reasons mentioned above there are much lower cost solutions to the pilot problem. I have tried to offer pilots in a full range of sizes in the past but there simply is not a demand for them. I do not think I had half a dozen people interest in a total of three offers I have made. I do not see the major suppliers going anywhere with them any time soon if ever.

Bit in the 64th sizes are not common over 1/2" in size. I did do a group buy for bits but those have since all been claimed. I do hope to get bits in stock including all the harder to find 64th sizes. in fact I plan to start adding those to the line up first. No that it helps you much today. so I'll leve you to bang your head until I have something better to offer.

its_virgil

What's so special about using delrin? My wooden shims made from scrap pieces have been serving me wonderfully but with all of the talk abut delrin I feel as though I'm still in the dark ages of penturning. :biggrin:So, some one enlighten me.:confused:
Do a good turn daily!
Do

GaryMadore

What's so special about using delrin?

Delrin is tough (I have a vise made out of delrin (!)), easy to machine, and it's slippery when smooth.

I guess one of the big things, though, as far as penmaking, etc, goes is that it's not permeable: finishes, glue, etc, won't stick. I bet that's why the guys who use it like it so much for "finishing" bushings.

Cheers!

Gary

Fellow Crazy People,

I am currently loking around the CSUSA site and am about to pull my hair out and run around in circles screaming madly. Well, I actually do that often, so CSUSA has nothing to do with it. BUT....

I am getting a headache while trying to find drill bits for their kits. 15/32" bits I can get ANYWHERE (sizes up to 1/2" are abundant, but anything over that usually come only in a few common sizes) but trying to find 35/64" (Imperial and Lotus) and 37/64" (Gentlemen's, Statesman, Lotus) is beginning to hurt. BUT, that's not the subject of this thread either...

CSUSA sells pen mill pilot shafts in 15/32" and 37/64", but I can't find a listing for a 35/64" anywhere on the site. This begs two questions:

1) Why the heck do they not sell a pen mill to match their highest-end kits? (!!!); and,

2) What do you fine people use to trim up/ream your Imperial/Lotus kits?

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Solutions to my drill bit problem gratefully accepted as well. Thanks.

Gary,
Most of the time, CSUSA lists the drill bits in the same listing as the pen kit... you can buy bits, bushings, extra tubes, etc right from the listing..
or at least the last time I bought pen kits they did.

As for the guide shafts for the mills, simplest solution is to glue up a number of scrap pieces of wood to 7mm tubes and turn down to size.. I have half dozen or more, each marked with the size and just slip over the 7mm shaft... or you can get a delrin like material from CSUSA that does same thing.. or as suggested, use actual delrin to make sleeves.

GaryMadore

Most of the time, CSUSA lists the drill bits in the same listing as the pen kit

Roger that. My current gripe/panic/conundrum/hissy-fit is due to the fact that it seems -to me- that CSUSA is perpetually out of those 2 sizes. Arrrghhhhh!

I'm gonna go with the suggestion to make a sleeve (thanks everyone) and Ed's advice to clean out the tube with something sharp before milling. I dunno why I didn't think of that one myself... Talk about a "duh" moment :)

Cheers!

Gary

Top Bottom