Pen Mills/Barrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I have bought a few pen mills/barrel trimmer lately and notice that the screw on the size of the barrel trimmer wares away very fast when tightened with the allen wrench and in time you can't use it any longer.Have anyone come across this problem,any ideas how to solve it and where can you buy the best trimmers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hard hat

the pen mills made by whiteside machine are top quality. no problems with the setscrew wearing out there. I would just replace the set screw with a new one from the hardware store

Scruffy

and the Whiteside Pen Mills will ..

actually cut rather than tear. I like almost all the Whiteside bits I have ever used.

Irish Pat

Barrel Trimmer

I am from Ireland,not sure where I can find that machine type over here.Who sells them?

Scruffy

I got the Whiteside Pen Mill Set.

It is made by the Whiteside Machine Company. They make drill bits, router bits, v-bits, etc. I paid around $30 for mine a few years back. I think Wood Craft and Amazon sell them.

sbell111

I have bought a few pen mills/barrel trimmer lately and notice that the screw on the size of the barrel trimmer wares away very fast when tightened with the allen wrench and in time you can't use it any longer.Have anyone come across this problem,any ideas how to solve it and where can you buy the best trimmers?
The easiest way to solve this problem is to simply buy mulitple heads so that you only have to tighten that set screw one time.

philipff

The way I do it is to not use a mill. I turn the ends by locking the blank in the chuck, trueing it with the tailstock/60d and then turning the ends down to the metal. Keep it straight and all is well. Never fails, unless I fail to wear my glasses. Philip

butchf18a

Top Bottom