Pen mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

Who makes the best pen mills. I need a new one. I made the mistake of buying a crappy one from woodcraft and after about 300 pens its done. Shafts are bent and the thing won't hold an edge. Who sells the best? I hate buying cheap tools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Someone - can't remember who - did a group buy from Rhizheng a while back and the mills and parts were about a sixth of the normal price, and so far I like them better than the carbide hooptie I bought from PSI for like $45.

Hopefully we can get together another group buy soon. That was just a great deal, like $11 or something for a whole mill set. Wish I could remember who it was that did it, because he could charge me double the cost and I'd still sign up for a bunch.

Group buys suck when you're the guy organizing them, but this one was by far the most lucrative for us end users. :)

I'll do some rooting around in my emails, I know he's in there somewhere.

JHFerrell

if they weren't true from the first, why didn't you return them to WC for refund or replacement? Oh, and if you buy the Artisan set from CSUSA don't be surprised to find its the same one WC sells. WC buys from Dayacom just like CSUSA does. Besides, it must have worked or you wouldn't have done 300 pens with it.

loglugger

Daniel.
Bob

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Someone - can't remember who - did a group buy from Rhizheng a while back and the mills and parts were about a sixth of the normal price, and so far I like them better than the carbide hooptie I bought from PSI for like $45.

Hopefully we can get together another group buy soon. That was just a great deal, like $11 or something for a whole mill set. Wish I could remember who it was that did it, because he could charge me double the cost and I'd still sign up for a bunch.

Group buys suck when you're the guy organizing them, but this one was by far the most lucrative for us end users. :)

bitshird

Why not by one of Lee's (Firefyter} sanding mills. when it gets dull, just change the paper, plus side, they dont chip as bad, I'm with Kirk Bosi, I square my blanks in my metal lathe.
Or got to a real tool supply and but a 1 inch four or six flute spotfacing tool, get one with a 1/4 inch pilot hole while there buy a pice of 1/4 inch drill rod for a pilot shaft, it's easy to put a cutting edge on the pilot, and you can also make a closed end mandrel.:D

pipeyeti

Originally posted by JHFerrell

if they weren't true from the first, why didn't you return them to WC for refund or replacement? Oh, and if you buy the Artisan set from CSUSA don't be surprised to find its the same one WC sells. WC buys from Dayacom just like CSUSA does. Besides, it must have worked or you wouldn't have done 300 pens with it.
Yes I realize that the artisan set is the same but they do carry a nicer version.

pipeyeti

Originally posted by LanceD

Originally posted by pipeyeti

Thanks for the advise but I no longer do any biz with AS.

Your loss :).
Not really. There is nothing that can't be sourced somewhere else. I won't go into it here, I have spoken with Bill on the phone and explained why I will not purchase from him again. Nuff said.

pipeyeti

Originally posted by karlkuehn

I would be interested

Top Bottom