Pen Mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sawdust1825

I did a search and didn't find a thread covering my question. I apologize if this is a repeat. My question is this. I am not a high volume pen maker and do it for fun and to sell a few and give a few gifts. My pen mill is a Rockler kit I picked up when first starting. It has been okay but not anything but average. It really leaves a lot to be desired when doing 7 mm size blanks like the slim lines. The clearance between the mill and the shaft is excessive and the brass tube ends up not getting properly trimmed when squaring the blank end. I know one option used by some is to sand the blank ends. However is there a good pen mill that works properly? I see there is a Whiteside but I don't know if that's the only option. I know the Penn State ones have the same complaint as the one I have with Rockler. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I use a carbide square cutter with the blank mounted in a chuck fitted with spigot jaws. Doesn't work with all blanks, but for symmetrical blanks, it works very well...IMHO!!

walshjp17

IMHO, sanding is preferred as it is more efficient and less prone to 'off center' squaring. If you do want to use a mill, the Whiteside is likely the best.

ffloyd

I, too, suggest the Whiteside carbide mill. Recently, I replaced all the different size bits that I have with the whiteside. BTW, they are not interchangeable, so you're stuck buying new bits.

Still, the outcome is much better and accurate. Further, there are a lot more bit choices than with the ones previously used.

Top Bottom