pen mill vs sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbower

Since I started turning, most of the time I've used a pen mill. But I'm beginning to wonder if truing up is better done with sanding. I've seen the device from PSI to put on a disc sander and it seems to me (newby here) that sanding to true would be gentler on the end of the blank than a pen mill. Pen milling just seems so rough on the end.

I'm not talking about specifics. This isn't a question about my technique with a pen mill. It just seems that that cutter whirling on the end of the blank is hard on the blank. I have had a couple of blanks ruined by the cutter and I'm sure that was my fault.

So I'm thinking about getting a disc sander and either buying the PSI device or making one similar.

I'd like you folk's comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I use a disk sander on all of the pens I make here at my shop. I have a "traveling" penmill that I use away from my shop. I really like the disk sander for squaring them. I even get better results. I've been using the same sanding disk for over a year now...

You don't have to buy the jig that PSI sells...Make one. Here is the link to the excellent jig I made and use: http://penmakersguild.com/articles/blanksquarejig.pdf It took me maybe 45 minutes or less.

There are other jig ideas out there.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by mbower

So I'm thinking about getting a disc sander and either buying the PSI device or making one similar.

I'd like you folk's comments.

PaulDoug

I have an old craftsman disk sander that I have never been able to get the platform exactly 90' to the disk. If I could solve that for a reasonable amount of money I would. I don't sww a pen mill being a problem ther is so little of the edge of the blank left when you get through turning.

Marc Phillips

I made a jig for the disc sander... then had a brain <s>fart</s> storm and made this one...

One of the best jigs I have ever made! .... sometimes ya just get lucky :D

Works excellent...
thumbsup%20smiley.gif

http://www.woodhelp.com/Jigs.htm#SquaringJig2

BruceA

Mr. Bower,
One of the members here makes a sander mill - check out the Individual Classifieds section, and "Thomasville" sander mills. They are $45 plus $5. shipping. I have one ordered. This is one possibility...

nava1uni

I have a small diamond hone that I keep handy and between milling I just run it over the mill and I have not trouble using the mill with a good clean cut. I just bought a pen mill with 6 cutters rather then 4 cutters and it makes an amazing difference in the milling-nice and clean.

sbell111

I considered switching to sanding until I bought the six-edge mills. The work well enough (and are cheap enough) that I'll stick with them.

Top Bottom