pen mill sleeves or guides

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

Hello and Merry Christmas.

I received some Baron pen sets in my christmas stocking, and I even managed to put one together (pictures later). The only question/problem I had was none of the guides for my pen mill were big enough for the tube size used in that pen kit.

So basically I locked it in place and eyeballed it when it came time to mill the end. Does anyone make a sleeve or guide for these larger pens?

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Scott,

ArizonaSilhouette sells different sizes of the pen mill guides in sizes that might well do what you want.

Another option is to drill and glue a 7mm tube in some corian and turn your own sleeves to fit inside the tubes for whatever pens you want to turn.

seht

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Scott,

ArizonaSilhouette sells different sizes of the pen mill guides in sizes that might well do what you want.

Another option is to drill and glue a 7mm tube in some corian and turn your own sleeves to fit inside the tubes for whatever pens you want to turn.

HAAHA assuming I could tunr a straight consistant line Hah.

Thanks for the information! I'll go check out ArizonaSilhouette

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by seht
<br />
<br />Scott,

HAAHA assuming I could tunr a straight consistant line Hah.

Thanks for the information! I'll go check out ArizonaSilhouette

You don't have to turn it straight the whole length.
Make it the length of the tube(s)
It only has to be the same diameter at the ends.
As time goes by it gets easier.
Put a pice of sand paper on a flat board the width of the "shaft" and sand to dimension.
You can chuck it beween a set of bushings the desired dimension.
It is OK if the "hollws out in the middle.
The ends will ceter the shaft.
BTW.
The Shaft in the 4 piece set from wood turningz does the lower end of a BAron, same as a cigar.
AS time goes on , with different kits you will need to make some or learn some tricks.
The 8 MM tube on the bottom of a Perfect fit fits as a spacer for the upper tube.[:D]

Dario

<br />

Good advise but you can use any scrap wood too. Note that since this is only a sleeve, it will have minimum friction wear (most of the spinning is between the center guide and the 7mm tube). I have lots that I used a very soft wood (buckeye) scrap on and they are holding very well.

Just so you won't get discouraged trying it in case you don't have corian at hand.

Sand (with flat surface backer) if you cannot get a straight line with your tools. Any errors can be built with CA. As mentioned, the critical part is any high part (ideally on the ends). Just measure with caliper and you will be fine. Of course the sure and easiest way is to measure with the tube [:(]

Buying is the easiest way but there is a pride that goes with any tool you make yourself. [^]

KenV

Remember that you need only be close with the sleeve - perfection or machinist tolerances to the 0.001 is not a requirement for a sleeve. 0.01 is good for a sleeve.

Writing the size and/or name of the intended pen on the sleeve and then sealing with CA helps when all the sleeves are in a bag together. e.g. Baron Cap

Firefyter-emt

Yea, I will just add in that you really want to learn to make your own spacers. My method is to order a spare set of tubes for most kits. Glue up a "slimline" blank and place one blank on the lathe with a spare tube (I use a lower Euro for the added length) I like to turn the blank "close" with calipers, measure 3 spots and when I am close to the side (3cm or so) I then place the "kit tube" over the blank euro tube and start to sadn it with sandpaper on a stick. I start on the RT side of the sleeve and just keep stopping and see if the tube will slip on. You will find that if you start at one side you just keep slipping it further to the left until it fits. Now you are done, spent almost no money and you can use it pretty much forever. I do add a light coat of sanding sealer just to keep them sealed up, just beacuse... [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom