pen mill sharpening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Cleaning can be done by soaking in lacquer thinner/acetone or in oven cleaner. Brass welders brush helps too.

Honing can be done with a fine diamond hone. You can improve over the factory sharp with honing. Sooner or laters, they will need to have a real sharpening. I suggest sending them to Paul Huffman who has and experience and steady hand for sharpening tools and dies. Then back to honing several times until sending the pen mill out for sharpening.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'll second using Paul Huffman. He sharpened my mills over a year ago. If I'm not careful in how I handle them when squaring blanks, they will still slice my finger open! (DAMHIKT)

Paul in OKC

Here's a link to a thread I started on my pen mill grinding set up.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19815
I use a tool and cutter gringer set up where I work.

kenwc

As soon as I get the two replacements I ordered at Craft Supplies, my two old ones will be on the way to Paul as well.

kenwc

Really? Woodcturnings or WoodturningZ I can't find any mills on the Woodturningz site. Can you give me a link to the Mill?

cozee

PSI catalog part #s and prices. Woodturningz is a PSI reseller and may offer a lower price.

5/8" cutter head #PKTRIM58, $10.95
3/4" cutter head #PKTRIM34, $12.95

Give them a call for actual pricing.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by cozee
<br />What does Paul charge as new cutters from Woodturnings is a little over $10.
I know there are cutters out there for cheap. I feel that these are also cheap steel. They will work, but the 'factory' sharpening job is not always the best.
For one mill, you may decide to buy one. My price is $10 for one, $5 for each additional one, so the more you have the better the price!

bmchan

Rather than use the mill, I prefer to put a square CMS cut on one end and insert the tube flush with that squared end. After the glue dries, I use the CMS to sneak up on the tube. I then use a belt sander to complete the squaring. You have to learn how to slice a rec C-hair with ease.

gerryr

Originally posted by bmchan
<br />Rather than use the mill, I prefer to put a square CMS cut on one end and insert the tube flush with that squared end. After the glue dries, I use the CMS to sneak up on the tube. I then use a belt sander to complete the squaring. You have to learn how to slice a rec C-hair with ease.
How do you know the hole is dead square with the end?

cozee

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
Originally posted by cozee
<br />What does Paul charge as new cutters from Woodturnings is a little over $10.
I know there are cutters out there for cheap. I feel that these are also cheap steel. They will work, but the 'factory' sharpening job is not always the best.
For one mill, you may decide to buy one. My price is $10 for one, $5 for each additional one, so the more you have the better the price!

Sorry if I came off sounding as though the cutters are a better deal than your sharpening. I simply didn't know what you charge and with the prices some guys charge for stuff around here . . . well, I hope you understnd how one could get an impression. Again, sorry if I sounded offensive. Right now I have 4 cutters all which are still relatively new and working well but will remember you when I start cursing them!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous New Year!!

bmchan

It's a "close 'nuff" call. Unless you buy a mill for every drill bit in your arsenal, you are as uncertain as I am with my method. I have been building furniture as a hobby for 20 years so have a fair sense of working with wood. I have only built 10 pens based on three kits. I have 7 Norseman drill bits specific to pen kits (one required 3 different bits - the El Grande Statesman).

I refuse to buy ten trimmers and two cutters (see craft supplies). Precisely square just isn't necessary for the work I am doing.

Like many aspects of this hobby, some gadgets just aren't necessary. My drill press, for example, has served me fine for pressing parts together. Someday if I am doing 10 pens a month, I may buy a press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom