Pen Mill Selection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandon25

Hello all. For my first post besides the introduction, I realize this could get controversial if people wanted to stray from the actual subject. Apologies in advance.

I'm new to turning, and have only done about 7 pens. My question is about the pen mill with 4 blades vs. the one with 5 blades. I saw an ad for Pioneer Woodcrafts and found a sale there for a pen mill with 5 blades. I wanted to check shipping costs and there was a problem, so I called Mark and he said it was some issue with the browser being internet explorer. At any rate, the shipping costs eliminated any savings, so I decided against buying it online. The next day, Mark writes to me saying "thanks for bringing the error to his attention, here's a 50% off coupon for your next purchase."

Very nice of him. This now puts it cheaper again than buying a 4 blade one locally, even with the shipping. However, I seem to remember seeing something about not being able to sharpen the ones that were more than 4 blades very easily. Is this true? I don't have any sharpening apparatus except my grinder, so any help in this area is appreciated. I just don't know if saving a few bucks and ordering from an unproven source online is worth the hassle, especially if the 5 blade mills are more trouble than they're worth.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Brandon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I have tried several pen mills, and I have to say that the CSUSA mills are the best I have used. I have not yet tried Nolan's carbide re-tipped mill heads yet.

Chris

IPD_Mrs

Brandon you might want to get on the list for one of Nolan's carbide mills. With that you wont have to worry about sharpening. One mill for $35 to last ayear or 10 at $5 to last a year?

Mike

Brandon25

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Brandon you might want to get on the list for one of Nolan's carbide mills.Mike

Can you please point me to this list? I'm still learning to navigate this site, and the only group buys I've found are Closed as far as I can see.

Also, you mean the cheap ones for the group buy are not that good, or just so cheap it's not worth sharpening?

To answer your original question--the 5-blade cutter would be no more difficult to sharpen than the 4-blade one.....of course, it would take you proportionally longer to accomplish, since you're sharpening one more surface. When sharpening, you merely apply the stone to the FLAT sides of the cutter, not the factory-ground portion. Sharpen each surface evenly, and you'll have no problem. (BTW, I have had a total of 4 cutters in 4 or 5 years now--a 5/8" from CSUSA [too small!], a 3/4" 4-cutter unit from PSI, a 3/4" carbide 2-cutter mill from PSI [not worth the shelf space it took before shattering!], and a 4-cutter from AS. Still using the AS unit, and the PSI 4-cutter. Have to sharpen both about bi-weekly.)

nava1uni

I use a trimmer that I purchased from Addictive Pens in Australia. It has 6 cutting surfaces. It works really nice and is easy to sharpen with a credit card diamond grinder. The price was reasonable including shipping. The service was great and I got it within a week of ordering. Used Paypal to pay for it.

sbell111

We did a group buy on trimmer heads from Rizheng not too long ago. Buying them this way was MUCH less expensive than other alternatives. Someone did post that the six-blade heads could be resharpened, but they were so inexpensive, that I just bought myself several. If/when they every get too dull to use, I'll just pitch them.

If there is interest, I'm sure Daniel or myself would be willing to do another buy soon.

sbell111

Originally posted by nava1uni

I use a trimmer that I purchased from Addictive Pens in Australia. It has 6 cutting surfaces. It works really nice and is easy to sharpen with a credit card diamond grinder. The price was reasonable including shipping. The service was great and I got it within a week of ordering. Used Paypal to pay for it.
To my untrained eye, theirs looks like the rizheng kit with a bunch of profit added.

Nolan

Originally posted by sbell111

If/when they every get too dull to use, I'll just pitch them.

Please guys and gals I will pay you a little or be glad to pay postage to me on any trimmer heads you feel are beyond your use.

Brandon25

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate your attention, and have been given a lot of info to look into.

Sbell111, will you let me know if you're getting a group buy together relatively soon? I am mill-less right now, so I dont want to wait forever, but it may be worth it if I could get it cheap.

I am torn, because while a good tool is worth its weight in gold, I have VERY limited shop time (and cash, for that matter), so I would be doing well to turn 4 pens per week. Having said that, I dont know if long life is necessarily the most pivotal aspect of this decision.

but, I like to keep my options open, so...

Hi Nolan. When would your next batch of mills be available, and are they all spoken for? Lastly, is it the whole kit or just the 7mm barrel that it comes with?

Nolan

Originally posted by Brandon25

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate your attention, and have been given a lot of info to look into.

Sbell111, will you let me know if you're getting a group buy together relatively soon? I am mill-less right now, so I dont want to wait forever, but it may be worth it if I could get it cheap.

I am torn, because while a good tool is worth its weight in gold, I have VERY limited shop time (and cash, for that matter), so I would be doing well to turn 4 pens per week. Having said that, I dont know if long life is necessarily the most pivotal aspect of this decision.

but, I like to keep my options open, so...

Hi Nolan. When would your next batch of mills be available, and are they all spoken for? Lastly, is it the whole kit or just the 7mm barrel that it comes with?

I have a batch of 10 I am tipping now with about 25-30 names on the list. I am working on securing more trimmers to tip. They are 7mm kits. I am also designing one of my own and hope to have it available soon if I can make it happen with cost being a factor of course. I am trying very hard to get kits that are reasonably priced so by the time I tip them they are still affordable. This is why I keep asking for old heads, cause I can tip them and be able to pass on the savings to everyone. If I have to break down and buy the kits (not in a group by setting) then the price is going to have to increase as some of these trimmers from US distributors are 3/4 the cost I am charging for tipped ones.

Top Bottom