Pen Mill on big fat tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

aksarben

OK, I am still pretty new to this game and I have only made 7 and 8mm kits.

This weekend I wanted to make a Sedona kit, I found that none of my pen mill shafts fit the top tube.

I chucked up the tube in the pen vise and squared it up and it mill fine on the ends.

My problem was the glue that got inside the tube. I had a heck of a time getting that out of there. I picked and scraped at it with a small flat head screw driver.

What to other people do with these odd sized tubes?

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

I clean the tubes out with a box knife. I have bushings made that fits each of the sizes that I have come across. I take a 7mm tube and glue some red oak onto it and turn it down to the tube size I need. I have several sizes now that covers just about all the kits out there.

JimGo

1) turn an insert so the pen mill fits inside the blank properly; and
2) use dental wax or a potato to plug the end of the tube before gluing.

I wish I actually did #2 as often as I'd like - when I forget (read: most of the time) I use a countersink bit to clean the edges of the tube, and then I either use a needle file (set from Harbor Freight - about $10) or the edge from a transfer punch (again, Harbor Freight). Not that _I_ never have problems that require the use of the transfer punch, but some of my "friends" have borrowed mine and roughed up the ends. Those sharp ends really get in there well.

oldtoolsniper

I found that the brass rifle and shotgun cleaning brushes take it out pretty darn slick. You want an oversize brush that you have to force thru the tube. I use Sumo glue and rarely do I have to run the brush through more than twice. I don't have any taters growing in my shop and the bore brushes don't rot as fast! [:D]

Walmart sells a pistol cleaning kit for under $5 and the brushes all fit in the handle.

Rmartin

I don't worry about plugging the ends. Glue doesn't bother me at all. I hone out the tube with gun cleaning bristles and a cordless drill. A drill bit works fine as well.

jtate

Potatoe works well too.

I keep one in the crisper drawer in the frig and just shove the tube through the potatoe. The edges of the tube slice a tube length core of potatoe that stays in place as I push the tube into the drilled blank. I just leave it in there till the glue's all dry (actually I use 2 part epoxy not CA glue) and then remove it and wipe out any residual wetness with a paper towel.

I don't share this secret with my guests who've been remarking on my wonderfully cylindrical french fries! (Kidding!)

Julia

Dario

What Jim and Julia said.

I also don't plug as often as I should and when I need to take off some glue, I use a thin DULL knife, works fast.

Applying oil inside the tube (just 1/4" deep or so) with a cotton swab also works. [;)]

MDWine

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I like the oil idea Dario. My only problem is that, with my luck, I'd get it on the outside of the tube too.

Plus, you'd have to get all of that oil out so that the pressed pen parts stay in the tube... right?

The wax/tater idea is the best, I use the wax on all tube glue-ups myself.

airrat

I use wax on all mine. Purchased from AS. I don't keep potatoes around the house much so it is better for me. On the occasional bit of glue in the tube I just use my punch to scrap it out. Usually push it through once and it done.

byounghusband

I, like Jim, turned inserts for my end mill to fit in the various pen kits I make. We are woodturners, right?[;)]

I use Dental Base Wax on my tubes (buy it from BB or ask your dentist for a few sheets and bring him a pen).I use either thick CA or Gorilla Glue for my glue-ups.
To clean gunk (glue, wax, or what have you...) I use a deburring tool

200741016118_deburring.jpg
<br />
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=380-1500&PMPXNO=943956&PARTPG=INLMK32 that I bought from Enco.

aksarben

I have been using thick CA to glue my tubes in. I may be getting too much in the hole as when I push in the tube I get a good bit inside the leading edge of the tube. Better too much than too little.

These have been very good tips, thanks I am going to try them and find which one works for me. So far I like the potato and gun cleaning brush the best, those I will try first.

Thanks
Scott Pearson

Grizzlyss

Hi There,
I use GG for gluing in tubes, and have now started to use paraffin wax to plug the ends of the tubes. Then I use a transfer punch to push out the wax and glue after it has dried overnight. I then take the glue off of the wax, and toss the wax back in to my melting bowl (on the side) so I don't go through as much. I just remelt it all when I run out of the flat wax to use (I melt it all in a cheap onion soup bowl, put into a frying pan with about a 1/2 inch of water). I know that is cheap, but it works for me, especially on the slow months when I am not working much. LOL. Those transfer punches are great, I have found many great uses for them, I had to use them yesterday to disassemble a European style pen, to refinish it, as it came out oversize when the CA/BLO was put on it.

Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom