Pen mill for Baron???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I have the pen mill set but there is no mill insert that will properly fit the Baron tubes...what do you use or did?

I am planning on turning/making an adapter...probably using a 7mm tube and turn one that will match the ID of the baron tubes. Any recommendation on what wood to use?

Or is there better ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Corian works, or acrylic blanks that you have ruined the other half of. Both materials are much more dimensionally stable than wood.

Dario

Okay, I will look for some corian later, for now wood will have to do...I can't wait!!! [:p] LOL

Thank you guys for all the input.

hobby_dale

Ok, I guess I am missing something here. Sorry to be brain dead today. So the problem is that the pen mill doesn't have a adapter that will fit into the Baron tube, correct? I have yet to run into this problem, but I have some Baron kits on the way. So the solution is to turn a piece of wood, corian, etc that can be used with the pen mill cutter? Or am I way off on this one...

Thanks in advance, Dale

vick

correct you turn your own adapter to the internal diameter of your tube and that keeps your cutter sqaure to the blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes,
It is somewhat critical that your tubes are milled at exactly 90 degrees (otherwise, when the fittings are put on, they are not "square" or there are gaps-neither case is pretty!!! Experience talking)

Make an adapter to fit the guide on your pen mill and fit it snugly to the inside of the tube and the problem goes away. If you use a wood adapter and your lathe is in the basement or garage in Wisconsin, be prepared to sand nightly during the summer, then have slop in the winter.

Better bet, use corian or acrylic-they don't swell with humidity.

There was once a thread on how to avoid this problem by sanding the ends instead of milling. REALLY interesting reading, but the jigs were kinda complicated and I know how to turn things - a little. So, this seemed easier and it HAS worked.

Good Luck, have fun, be safe.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You're right, Dale. BTW, if you want the pilot shafts for almost all of the kits offered, they are available from www.arizonasilhouette.com . Use the search function and search on "pilot shaft". It will return shafts for 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, O, S, 3/8", 27/64", 37/64", 15/32" and 25/64" (those two are for the Baron)

coach

I bought the larger shaft at CSUSA. The smaller tube works perfectly with a 10mm shaft. I can't seem to keep the barrel trimming part that I bought at CSUSA sharp though. I have one I use by hand that works pretty well.

alamocdc

This place has pilot shafts for $5 each. I haven't seen any nearly that reasonable anywhere. Look about 2/3 down the page. http://www.choice-woods.com/projectkits.html

hobby_dale

Great info everyone, thanks! Lou, thanks for the tip about BB carrying the shafts. I also see that CSUSA has them in their catalog, if anyone is interested.

Best, Dale

Dario

Too much for me.

I made mine so the price is right (FREE). I can use the practice too!!! [:D] [;)]

It worked great by the way, I milled 10 sets last night and they are all looking great.

its_virgil

If you have a disk sander make a sanding jig and turn shims from wood or corian and they are free. IMHO, disk sanders and a good squaring jig are just as good, if not better, than a pen mill. The sander and jig works on every size of pen. Just my opinion...nothing wrong with penmills except thay are a tad expensive.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />You're right, Dale. BTW, if you want the pilot shafts for almost all of the kits offered, they are available from www.arizonasilhouette.com . Use the search function and search on "pilot shaft". It will return shafts for 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, O, S, 3/8", 27/64", 37/64", 15/32" and 25/64" (those two are for the Baron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom