Pen Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello I have searched the site but haven't found a answer so here is hoping you all can help. I am new to pen turning and am wondering if it is necessary to buy a pen mill or is there another cheaper way to accomplish this? I would like to know before I go and wreck a pen blank or pen kit. Thank you for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

Might not be all that much cheaper, but it's possible to build a jig to use with a stationary disk sander, assuming you have one of those, that can be used to sand the excess material off while keeping the face perpendicular (and who the heck came up with the term perpendicular, anyways!!!) to the tube. Check the library, I'm sure they have an article with plans!

toddlajoie

I'm sure you'll get several conflicting responses, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Pen mills for me are WAY easier, and faster than using a belt sander, I think they are well worth it for that fact. I have seen other devices for sale on the board here using sanding discs and similar things, and a centering jig for squaring up for the belt/disc sander, but for me the pen mills are just easy, and work VERY well

lwalden

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2005/blanksquaring.pdf

here's the link to the jig. For what it's worth, though, I agree with Todd. I use the pen mills and have multiple heads, that I send to one of the members on this forum (Paul Huffman) for periodic sharpening. I also have a sanding mill (Rherrell sells this in the business classifieds, I believe- http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62831) that I use after applying my CA finish that does a final touchup and cleans the ends without lifting or marring the CA finish at the ends of the blanks.

Last edited:

aggromere

I hated using pen mills. they were hard to sharpen and making adapters for the larger pens was a pain. My drill press broke so I learned to drill on the lathe and then someone on the forums suggested I could square the ends of the blanks on the lathe. I have a special skew on i only use for pen ends and have been doing it that way for a long time and have never had a problem with it.

tim self

I'm sure you'll get several conflicting responses, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Pen mills for me are WAY easier, and faster than using a belt sander, I think they are well worth it for that fact. I have seen other devices for sale on the board here using sanding discs and similar things, and a centering jig for squaring up for the belt/disc sander, but for me the pen mills are just easy, and work VERY well

While this may be true for regular woods or PR, wait till you've spent 8-10 hrs segmenting a blank (herringbone) and you blow the end out with that wonderful tool!!! You always NEED an alternative.

Rangertrek

I have tried both ways. I currently use a belt/disc sander because I like it better. I have an article in library on this method.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/squaringpenblanksonabeltdiscsander.pdf

It may take a little longer with the sander method than a mill. But then again, you have no sharpening to do as with the mills. You can build a simple jig (or buy one) to square the blanks.

Use what works for you and that's the right answer.

Daniel

Harvey, First I have pen mill sets for $15.00 plus postage. postage on a set is about $3.00. I don't have many left and do not plan on getting any more. But at least for this moment if you choose the mill you can save a little bit.

Even though I offer them, I don't tell people they are the way to go. as is mentioned above they are not always the best choice. They have there weak points and are a bit of a pain if you make different size pens. they only have 4 sizes of pilots while there are 20 or more different tube sizes. They are also not high quality tools in the first place. I have known people that go the disc sander route for years and are perfectly happy. I have used the lathe myself at times. In the end the goal is to get a dead straight and square end on the blank. no bevels no roundness, no nuttin.
If you are interested in a mill from me, please PM or e-mail me. There is not much guarantee I will see this thread again.

JimB

I use a mill to square the blank before turning. After I have turned and finished it I have a jig for my lathe that I use to sand the ends square again (remove excess finish mostly). It works similar to the disc sander method but is on the lathe.

ldb2000

I do it all on the lathe from turning the blanks round between centers to drilling and cutting the blanks to size and squaring the ends . Barrel trimmers are brutal on the ends of the blanks and as mentioned can destroy a complicated segmented blank and clear cast blanks if your not really careful . Plus if the trimmer shaft is tight due to glue in the tubes or a slightly warped or dented tube , can generate heat which can cause the glue bond between the tube and blank to soften and cause the tube to break loose during turning .

Rick_G

I have 2 mills here that seldom see any use any more. I made myself a thin parting tool that I use now. I will turn my blanks about halfway to the bushing then mount it between centers. Using the parting tool I part it off square to the tube. Once in every dozen pens or so I will take a hair to much wood off and that's the only time I use the mills to take off that sliver of brass that is sticking out.

Thank You all for your replies. I really appreciate the willingness to help a new pen maker. I think I may try all 3 methods and see what works best for me and in turn be able to help give advice to future new turners.

Top Bottom