Pen mechanisms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parshooter11

Hello to all! Pretty new to pen turning but I can see already that standard pen mechanisms don't seem very robust. I've read Schmidt information but don't know the interchangeability of higher grade components in place of standard ones like for slimline and Wallstreet II kits. Tnx for any suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can get "better" transmissions for the slimline.
The Wall street II has about the best transmission you will find for that "sierra" design. Others you may try will not, necessarily have the same size threads, so test before "ordering a bunch".

FWIW

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Some people feel that slimline (and other) transmissions made in Taiwan are better than those from mainland China. Addressing only slimline, I don't see any difference in initial quality. I have manually tested up to 1000 from each place with very similar failure rates and failures from both places were better than I expected. I have not tested them for endurance.

I have not made similar comparisons with other styles of transmissions and I suspect if anyone has they are keeping the results to themselves. It is perhaps ironic but I seem to see more transmission failures showing up on here with higher priced (higher priced than slimline) transmissions. That is an ad hoc observation though not a acceptable way to determine failure rates.

In short, while you might want to watch them a little, I would not lose any sleep over the prospect of transmission failures - I doubt you will be getting a lot of pens back because of them. I seldom get calls to replace failed transmissions and some of the ones I do get the transmission was damaged by the turner..

sbell111

My belief is that if a slimline transmission is going to fail, it will do so during assembly and you will catch the issue immediately.

Gord K.

I have seen one issue with low end slimline 7mm mechanisms. Based on a batch of 150 pens I made, the ridges on 7 or 8 of the mechanisms were too shallow to grip the brass tube properly and the mechanism wouldn't turn when you twisted the pen to extend/retract the refill. I have seen, on this site or elsewhere, this topic discussed and solutions provided. I wish I knew then what I know now!

Gord

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have seen one issue with low end slimline 7mm mechanisms. Based on a batch of 150 pens I made, the ridges on 7 or 8 of the mechanisms were too shallow to grip the brass tube properly and the mechanism wouldn't turn when you twisted the pen to extend/retract the refill. I have seen, on this site or elsewhere, this topic discussed and solutions provided. I wish I knew then what I know now!

Gord
There is always a question is that case of whether it is the ridges too low, or the tubes too big, or an addition of tolerances where both are a little out of spec in the same direction.. Frequently the transmission that won't work in one tube will work with another.

Top Bottom