Pen mandrel choice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

As part of my new lathe Jet mini lathe purchase I am planning on buying another pair of ("A" and "B") mandrels.

The ones I have are from Jet (A), Berea (B) and Woodcraft (A). One of the A mandrels is definitely better than the other but cannot remember which is from where.

Can you guys tell me your favorite mandrel and where you got it?

Is the CSUSA adjustable mandrel worth the extra $$$?

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Dario,
I just bought a MT2 set of collets from Little Machine Shop.
http://tinyurl.com/14ho

They do require a draw bar.
I am also planning to buy some "D" drill rod and make my own. Aslo planning on making my own pin chucks for different kits.

You might want to think about making your own....[?]

Edited because I can't type until after lunch......[:(]

jthompson1995

I have the adjustable, but don't use it as such. I find it is easier to use old slimline bushings as spacers than to get out the wrenches to adjust the mandrel. It also gives you more working room if you center the blank rather than pulling the headstock and tailstock together. I know a big selling point is that the mandrel will run truer if you shorten it (more support) but if you mandrel is true and you don't tighten too much or push too hard, it works fine.

Jason T.

gerryr

My "A" mandrel is the cheap one from Woodcraft and other than me ruining the first shaft I have no complaints at all. The shafts can be replaced cheaply which I really like. Why not just get a Beall collet chuck and the mandel shafts?

Dario

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />My "A" mandrel is the cheap one from Woodcraft and other than me ruining the first shaft I have no complaints at all. The shafts can be replaced cheaply which I really like. <b>Why not just get a Beall collet chuck and the mandel shafts?</b>

Because I can't afford it.

mick

Dario, I use the mandrels from Woodcraft($9.95) and haven't had a problem to date.They come with a knurled nut and 3 slimline bushings. I actually have 4 so I can just knock one out after I put the finish on a pen and set it aside to cure. Insert another into the headstock and I'm ready to go! I've also bought several replacement mandrels from them($2.99)and they to give me good service.(my fault for need to replace em ....not the quality of the mandrel)

Randy_

I seem to recall seeing a post to the effect that the cheap Woodcrsaft mandrel has a different thread at the arbor end than most other mandrels. So don't buy a replacement unless you are sure the mandrel will fit your arbor.

wudwrkr

The woodcraft mandrel shaft will not fit the Berea Mandrels, but will work with the CSU Mandrel. I now use the Beall Collet Chuck so it's not a big deal, but I ran into this when I received my first Berea mandrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom