pen making accessories from rherrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I recently purchased lathe multiple tool rests, pen chuck, and sanding mill from rherrell (IAP member). I am very happy with the quality of the tools! below are some pictures using the flat tool rest, didn't want to use them as they are so shiny!

The more I am on this forum and interact with other members the happier I get!

Thanks rherrell for the quick responses and great customer service! Very fast shipping as well.

Attachments

• IMAG4354.jpg
    IMAG4354.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 481
  • IMAG4353.jpg
    IMAG4353.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 415
  • IMAG4352.jpg
    IMAG4352.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 432
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I will be purchasing a new tool rest after the first of the year for my Jet 1014. I just have to decide how long to have him make it for me. I still use a mandrel mostly, using a mandrel saver. Any ideas of the right length for me? I was thinking I may have to get a second tool rest for my Grizzly, but it has a different post and probably I would want something longer, maybe even a square top. hmmm

endacoz

What do you mostly turn? 2 blanks or 1 per pen? what size are they? I ordered 3 different sizes. Goal is to get a size that let's you get close 1/8" or so, but also you don't want to have it a ton during each turning. You would need move a 2 inch tool rest 4+ times if you are doing a pepper mill... and a 12 inch tool rest won't let you get close to a small project.

I started with a mandrel then looked into tbc! I barely use my mandrel now, i only use mine now when doing a few small 7 millimeter kits. TBC is Much more consistent and accurate In my opinion and experience.

Last edited:

mmayo

I cannot think of making a pen without Rick's tool rests and especially the pen tube final sanding jig to true up the CA coated tubes before MM and polishing. Thank you Rick!

LeeR

I bought Rick's standard post and rests in several lengths a couple years ago, and fell in love with them. Last year I bought the heavier post, and several long rests for turning longer spindles, like peppermills. I also bought the height collar -- really nicely made. I also bought the sanding jig, which is really handy.

it has been almost a year since I last ordered anything. I just may need to get some of those flat rests!

Last edited:
Top Bottom