Pen Kits!!! What Company is the Originator?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodchuckcuda

I'm sure we all agree, other than names and trim rings, there are a few kits and a slew of names. It appears that there is one or two manufacturers, a few packagers and a whole lot of resellers that are determined to confuse us with names and other words.

I was wondering and I bet I'm not alone, does anyone know who the manufacturers are and who the primary packagers in the USA are?

I believe that we are more familiar with the resellers so I won't belabor that point here.

I have just been very interested during my pen turning experience. I really would like to know.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Dayacom in Taiwan manufactures the kits that CSUSA sells and I believe also the ones that Berea sells. I have no idea who makes the kits for PSI.

redfishsc

Just know that knowing the manufacturer isn't necessarily much help unless you're able to buy directly. Every "manufacturer" has it's fair share of "losers" in their lineup. There are a half dozen or more Berea kits that I do not and will not make for various reasons-- transmission failure, brittle plastic fp nib couplers, pointlessly aggravating pen assembly, etc.... The same goes for CSA--- brittle "snap cap" rollerball/fountain pens, pens available only in non-durable 10K plating, etc...

And yes, I am being a bit hard on them. But then again I've complained about most every one of these things to them and they usually give me that "well we've never had anyone else complain about that" line of bologna (I know people here that have complained). So I stick with kits I can trust, test out new kits, and keep myself on the "safe side".

stevebuk

Originally posted by redfishsc

So I stick with kits I can trust, test out new kits, and keep myself on the "safe side".

Do you think it would be an idea to make a section whereby people like yourself who know these kits could leave their thoughts of kits NOT to buy, so newbie's like myself could avoid wasting money on them.
Just my opinion..

scotirish

Good Morning :D:D:D!
I have a kit in my hand that was bought from the "Woodworkers Store". This is probably 20 years old. The name is "The Mill" from Derbyshire, England.[8)][8)][8)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by redfishsc

Just know that knowing the manufacturer isn't necessarily much help unless you're able to buy directly. Every "manufacturer" has it's fair share of "losers" in their lineup. There are a half dozen or more Berea kits that I do not and will not make for various reasons-- transmission failure, brittle plastic fp nib couplers, pointlessly aggravating pen assembly, etc.... The same goes for CSA--- brittle "snap cap" rollerball/fountain pens, pens available only in non-durable 10K plating, etc...

And yes, I am being a bit hard on them. But then again I've complained about most every one of these things to them and they usually give me that "well we've never had anyone else complain about that" line of bologna (I know people here that have complained). So I stick with kits I can trust, test out new kits, and keep myself on the "safe side".

I can largely agree with you. CS management seems to have an attitude of 'doing it our way'. Lower level people will listen and help but upper management thinking is cast in concrete. Their catalog is seldom up to date and is always published with a multitude of errors. This makes me suspect they are simply too cheap to hire professional copy writers. Nevertheless, 90% of my stuff comes from them. I do limit my repertoire of pens and ask questions when I order to try to avoid problems. e.g. Are the drill sizes recommended in the catalog correct or have changes been made?

Johnathan

I think that IAP should develop some type of rating, something similar to Ebay, Customer Service, Shipping Speed, Quality of Product, Accuracy of order, , etc... I think that having their name side by side with a kit that appears not to be recommended, would help things.

I agree that some are not hated by all but I think that would be clear if the number of voters were high. Something to think about at least at the least.

I primarily buy from CSUSA and have been very happy with their customer service but they are in major need of more quality control of their product. I think we can be too nice sometimes. Remember that Supply/Demand thing we learned in school, well, we are the demand and could bring about more change when unifying our opinions in one place. Again, just an idea. Yes, I think the whole IAP has done this as we have called for more high-end pens and such, but again, I would be all for a rating system on the various pen kits and companies. I think most of us have been doing this anyway in our own shops, there are kits to stay away from, why not make this clear for everyone.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Johnathan

I think that IAP should develop some type of rating, something similar to Ebay, Customer Service, Shipping Speed, Quality of Product, Accuracy of order, , etc... I think that having their name side by side with a kit that appears not to be recommended, would help things.
That's an excellent idea. I have plans to include pen kits in the member reviews section. I need to find the time to call the volunteer moderators for that forum and get moving.

JimB

As a newbie I would also like to see a list of kits that come from different suppliers (CSUSA, PSI, Woodcraft etc) that are actually the same kit and use the same bushings. This would save me from spending $$$$$$ on bushings I don't need and perhaps even help me find kits of the same type with different platings. I know putting the list together would be some work for a more experinced turner but it would be greatly appreciated.

Johnathan

Originally posted by jeff

That's an excellent idea. I have plans to include pen kits in the member reviews section. I need to find the time to call the volunteer moderators for that forum and get moving.

Look forward to it.:)

leehljp

Member Liaison

Jeff,

A second paragraph or box or what ever for each pen could be used to denote the same pen by a different name from a different distributor - or note that even though they look alike they use different tubes or . . . etc. This could kill two birds with one stone!

jjudge

The disagreement on the pen kits isn't broad. So, the common perception could be boiled down easily.

E.g., most folks agree the Churchill + El Grande + those fancy variations (Cambridge?) are:
- all the same bushings
- larger diameter, hollower therefore lighter - so some like, some don't
- has a weaker plastic nib-to-body threading/coupling (and may be prone to breakage if dropped)

-- joe

nwcatman

Originally posted by leehljp

GO FIT IT! GREAT IDEA.

Jeff,

A second paragraph or box or what ever for each pen could be used to denote the same pen by a different name from a different distributor - or note that even though they look alike they use different tubes or . . . etc. This could kill two birds with one stone!

beloff

spell checking doesn't help much when it's the wrong word...

I, too, would find it very useful to have a list of synonymous kits. I would find it really useful for someone to tell me where they get consistently good bushings. I haven't had a circular pen yet that's not a slimline.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by beloff

I, too, would find it very useful to have a list of synonymous kits. I would find it really useful for someone to tell me where they get consistently good bushings. I haven't had a circular pen yet that's not a slimline.

Make your own.

Take a piece of corian (laminate it to 1" square, if you do bigger pens - color does NOT have to match), drill 7mm hole and insert 7mm tube. NOW, turn the end to the size of your first bushing, part off, repeat until you have all your bushings or you can no longer hold your corian piece, then repeat.

Corian WILL break eventually, but you can get a couple hundred pens out of the bushing, first.:D:D:D

alamocdc

Originally posted by beloff

Order them from Johnnycnc and turn between centers.;) You won't be sorry!

Top Bottom