Pen Kits and Vendors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

Just out of curiosity and not asking any vendors names or anything.

Do you as a Pen Turner use a limited number of Kits that you turn or do you turn a large variety. By the same token, do you have a set group of vendors you go to, or will you go to many vendors. I know the question is pretty open ended here and not very specific but wanted to see what folks do.

Right now I am turning slim lines and Cigar pens because I am just starting, but I look at all the different pen kits and vendors out there and it can get overwhelming :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I do mostly the same half dozen kits of equal size (Atrax/Jr. Gent, Sierra/Elegant Sierra, Slim/Comfort) and so on. I do add a new kit once in a while. I do not go in much for gimmick kits, with a few exceptions. I would love to have one vendor that always has everything, but that's not going to happen. I have a line of half a dozen vendors I go down until I find everything I need.

Regards,
Michael

budnder

I'd say I do 70% of one of three specific kits (Cigar family, Jr Gent II family, Sierra family), 25% one of a maybe six other specific kits (Baron/Sedona, Knurl, Zen, etc.), and 5% experimenting with some new kit I haven't done before.

I have one vendor I like to use, but place orders occasionally with everyone.

Last edited:

liljohn1368

I do more game calls than pens but.... I do several different kinds of pens. Any type of sierra ( gatsby, mesa, lancer, & elegant sierra ), jr gent, new series style screw cap, bolt action, bolt action tec, slim line, & a few seam rippers. I use several different vendors. Wasn't always in this order. Starting with Exotic Blanks then go down the list. One that is not a vendor I use is southernclay. he sells on here from time to time. my blanks I make a lots of my own. but I buy from different ones.

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

I do
Slimlines
Cigars
Classic twist
Trimlines
T7
Classic FP
Classic RB
New series
Series 2000
Elegant beauty
Elegant American
Aron laus pens
Bolt action
Majestic s
Jr Gent
Jr Anthony's
Wide selectionof Kitless
Modified slimlines, cigar
Lipstick pens
Euros
mini euros

And some more, use different vendors, although I try to buy as much as I can from one, Saves on shipping. There are many vendors in IAP, I try to buy from as many as I can. My favorite are Exotic Blanks, CSUSA, Wood and whimsies and Woodturningz. Ed actually carries many blanks made by our fellow Penturners and a wide selection of the most used pens.
All these good people are fellow turners and IAP members who actually are friends and very polite and will not hesitate to refer you so the other if they know that this is in your best interest.
I feel very close to each one of them and would recommend that you call them and experience what a Good IAP Member can help you with.

thewishman

I used to carry a lot of kits, but over the years, several proved to be more popular than others.

Streamline slim
Comfort Grip (without the rubber grip)
Sierra/Wallstreet II
Sierra Vista/Wallstreet III
Zen
Jr. Gent
Jr. Statesman
Sketch pencils
Cigars
Venus

Everyone has their own mix of styles, it largely depends on your customers and what you are comfortable selling. Make sure you charge enough for them that you are happy to see them go.

magpens

I do quite a large variety of kits, and I go to several vendors, of which I have 3 faves.

MTViper

I have 3 boxes 21x15x12 full of file folders which contain one gallon freezer bags full of pen kits. Each file folder is a different style of pen. Occasionally, I'll go through them and turn all the kits of one type that I haven't turned in a while so I can eliminate that kit from my inventory.

I turn mostly Sierra, Bolt Action family, Tetra, Cigar family, and Knurl GT family. I have one go to vendor. If he can't supply it I go elsewhere. I will stock up when someone has a sale. I also have some orphan kits - ones I bought 2-3 of to try out or for someone special and never turned again - EX: my son and nephew are musicians so I bought 3 PSI Music pens so I'd make sure I got 2 turned for them. Now I have one left getting dusty.

I'm not above buying a new kit just because I like the way it looks - just bought some Nomad kits (Berea) from Beartooth because I love the carbon fiber look. May be another one of my regular kits soon.

My name is Steve and I'm a pen-a-holic.

corgicoupe

I make only fountain pens with wood, and 90% are gifts so I can choose the kit by my standards. I have limited myself to three: Jr Gent II from CSUSA, Koren from local Woodcraft store, and Lazerlinez. I like the simplicity of the 1st, supporting the local sheriff for the other two. I particularly like the stainless steel components of the third and that it is USA made. Plus, I can use one set of drills and bushings for all three kits. For variety, I have modified each to make a closed-end version. Keeps it simple and keeps me creative. I should add that I turn one pen at a time. (By this I mean I prepare one set of blanks and take them to completion.)

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

I like making Fountain pens. There beautiful and they sell well. After reading your post I would like to make a few suggestions, From CSUSA try the Americana Roller ball and buy a Signature FP the sections are interchangeable or an Americana RB in Rhodium and buy a Platinum section from Exotic Blanks they fit perfect, the gold don't.

Another pen you can try is the new Series from berea, it's a nice chrome pen very comfortable, also available at exotic blanks.

But the best pens are the Jr. Majestic and the Jr. Anthony there just great to make and to use.

I make only fountain pens with wood, and 90% are gifts so I can choose the kit by my standards. I have limited myself to three: Jr Gent II from CSUSA, Koren from local Woodcraft store, and Lazerlinez. I like the simplicity of the 1st, supporting the local sheriff for the other two. I particularly like the stainless steel components of the third and that it is USA made. Plus, I can use one set of drills and bushings for all three kits. For variety, I have modified each to make a closed-end version. Keeps it simple and keeps me creative. I should add that I turn one pen at a time. (By this I mean I prepare one set of blanks and take them to completion.)

corgicoupe

I did make one [Jr] Anthony, just to have one with a #6 nib, but I thought it was a bit too "blingy".

I've never thought to try mixing components as you suggest. Worth considering.

(Koren, in the op, should have been Kojent. )

Top Bottom