Pen kits and their quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflex8263

I have recently made a few click pens fromj Woodcraft and noticed that they began to stick after a clicks. Am I missing something in the assembly process that might aleviate this? Or is it the quality of kit. Where is the best place to buy quality kits? Thanks

Troy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

The best quality kits come from <b>Berea</b> (they supply a lot of Woodcraft's stuff and Rocklers, too) and from <b>CSUSA</b>. My personal preference are the kits from Berea; from CSUSA I use mainly the Gents and Gents Jr kits. I like especially the kits using the thicker "B" mandrel from Berea. I have not heard too much good of Penn State Industries kits, but have not used any of them either to form my own opinion.
Berea is the leader when it comes to the different platings, they have Chromium and Black Chrome, upgrade gold, Titanium(gold)nitride and Black Titanium coatings, diverse colored satin finishes, Platinum, Rose gold and even massive Sterling silver hardware. Not for all kits, though, but a lot of their kits can be had in three or four different finishes.
Keep in mind that gold platings are not very long lasting on a pen that is used daily, it wears off within a short time, i.e several months. Therefore, if you want a superb quality (and when you start selling pens, you want your customers return because of the quality you offer) don't cut yourself short and use the cheaper kits. I even use for "simple" slimlines the Titaniumgold coatings (you can get quite some price breaks when you buy the kits in larger quantities, check the catalogs and web sites of suppliers for that and call them and ask for their best price!!). On the other hand, the chromium coatings are one of the cheapest and lasting very long, too.

Most of the suppliers offering one or two click pens, but what I have heard so far is not too good either, we are still waiting for a good quality click pen mechanism. Until then, I make none of them.

Rudy

smoky10

I put just a tiny bit of Johnsons Past Wax on the top of the filler before I put it together. This stops the sticking and allows the mechanism to work smoothly.

ilikewood

IMHO - CSUSA has wonderful kits. PSI does have some that are very good, but they have some that are very poorly engineered. I personally have never had a problem with Woodcraft kits, but they are a bit pricey for what you get.

melchioe

I started out using kits from Woodcraft and Rockler. Of those two, I had much better luck with the Woodcraft kits. Better instructions, better design, less fussing with them to make the mechanical parts work. Then I started buying CSUSA kits, and have never had a "fussing session" with any of their kits. I've had a couple of blanks blow up on their tubes when parting off for centerbands, but that's because I had sloppy gluing technique.

So I'd vote for CSUSA if you're looking for quality. There are certainly less expensive kits out there, and for my lower-price pens, slimlines and cigar pens, the lower price kits work great (like from woodturningz.com - they sell mostly PSI kits, and while I've never bought from there, folks here rave positively about Ryan at woodturningz.com). If I'm making a higher-price pen, I usually go with CSUSA.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Whatever kit you decide is right for you, I would suggest that you contact eith Ryan at Woodturningz or Bill at Arizona Silhouette to buy you kits, you will save a good amount of money...

wayneis

When it comes to the kits it just depends on what kit you are looking for. If you are looking for an El Grande, that is Berea, if its a Gentlemens then its CSUSA if its a Wall Street then its Wood Craft. Each company has their own little specialty kits, some of the kits are sold by more than one Company but there are several that are only sold by the Company that has them produced or one of their Middle Men like Bill or Ryan and they can save you some money. So, I would say that their is no one best Company, it just depends on what pen kit you want. I do business with them all.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom