Which pen kits do ladies like most?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I'm trying to pick out a few kits to start turning that really have a look of "class" to them. I like the Ultra Cigar kit from Woodcraft but it really is a "mans" pen as it is large and heavy. I would like to find a smaller pen but with that same kind of "bling" look for the ladies. I'm looking for kits that are in the $10.00-$15.00 price range....give or take$$. Would I also be correct that perhaps guys like wood and ladies prefer acrylic???? What kit would you suggest? Here is a photo of the Ultra Cigar to tell you what I'm looking at.

Attachments

• 148460_400.jpg
    148460_400.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

I have had good response from the ladies with the Princess kit from PSI. They like the crystals and the crystals are small enough they don't over bling the pen. Acrylic in reds, and also black with just a bit of grey (smoke look) seem the most popular.

Chasper

I sell lots of cigar pens to women. In my experience you are correct in assuming they women have a tendency to buy more bright acrylics, especially bright colors like pink, red, orange, and most of all purple. Be careful in accepting it as a absolute when a limited sampling of women say that the ultra is too large for women's hands, there are women who love it.

For a pen that is equally over-endowed with bling, a little smaller and in the same price range, take a look at Majestic Squire from PSI.

eric

my wife and sister both went gaga over the diva with the white crushed pearl. i just made two princess pens out of purple heart. ill see how they are recieved. As for a two piece pen i'd say the tycoon is nice for the ladies.

My two best pens as of late for the ladies are the princess pen and the best is the magnetic necklace pen from PSI. I have sold over a dozen in the last 2 months in bright acrylics. Just ordered 5 more this week. Make sure you dont try to make the body longer than intended as it wont sit deep enough in the cap for the magnet tohold. Ask me how I know that?
Good luck.

dexter0606

I'm trying to pick out a few kits to start turning that really have a look of "class" to them. I like the Ultra Cigar kit from Woodcraft but it really is a "mans" pen as it is large and heavy. I would like to find a smaller pen but with that same kind of "bling" look for the ladies. I'm looking for kits that are in the $10.00-$15.00 price range....give or take$$. Would I also be correct that perhaps guys like wood and ladies prefer acrylic???? What kit would you suggest? Here is a photo of the Ultra Cigar to tell you what I'm looking at.

I don't think there is a straight forward answer to this. If it was simple there wouldn't be so many different styles of purses on the market :biggrin:

I've sold all different styles to women. It's dependant on taste. I've sold a cigar pen in bright purple acrylic to an eighty year old woman.

And I think that the acrylic trend isn't just dependant on gender. I find both men and women are more attracted to the acrylics and "special" casts that I do.

All that being said, I think that my biggest sellers for woman are the Elegant Beauty, the Sedona and the Diva in that order. The Electra is starting to catch on as well.

dexter0606

Make sure you dont try to make the body longer than intended as it wont sit deep enough in the cap for the magnet tohold. Ask me how I know that?

Glen
I think on the necklace pen, the critical length is the cap. Too short and and the body doesn't sit in the cap far enough. Still works but it doesn't look as good

tbfoto

Well....when I started this thread I really only expected to see about two or maybe three different kits mentioned. However this shows me that women have a much broader taste in pen designs than I originally thought. I'm going to take a good look at all of the kits mentioned then have to decide on one or two and go from there. Thank you all for taking the time to post your best selling kits to women.

My wife was carrying a Majestic Jr out of Olivewood just to show some of my work. Her hairdresser went nuts over it and wants one. My wife told her I did smaller ones, but she said she really likes a big heavy pen. They are out there. Just got to find them sometimes :)

omb76

It's definitely a matter of individual taste. I made a Big Leaf Maple Majestic Jr. pen for my dad a couple of years ago, and he never uses it, he prefers the smaller, Sierra styles and definitely likes the acrylics better. The funny thing is that his hands are about twice the size of mine.

My mom said she would never like a larger pen like the Majestic until I made one out of Bakelite that happened to be her favorite shade of red, and now that is her favorite pen.

I've found that once someone starts writing with a larger pen, they find the slim ones very hard to write with, that's definitely the case with me. If I try and write with a slimline or even comfort grip, I just fumble around with it.

Mark

I have found the Diva and the Hart Twist, do well with my female customers. I too have many ladies buying Cigar pens, but I just assumed it was for their husbands.

Never assume, you know what that does..... Yes, Acrylics seem to be more popular overall, than wood. I turned a bunch of wood pens. I still have a bunch of wood pens... lol

moke

While I am not a fan, I do get a lot of requests from women for Hart double twists, with bright PR. The customer is always right! I make em!

Top Bottom