Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

I have somone who wants me to make a high end pen for her brother. I have made Sierra & Baron & Euro pens before, but want to make something different.(Like Jr. statesman) What other kits do you guys reccomend? Joe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

My favorite is Platinum Jr. Gent. I am the odd one here at IAP who doesn't like Statesman/Jr. Statesman much. [:D]

CSUSA is also coming out with new kits so depending on your time frame you may look at those too. Check the group buy going on right now.

JimGo

It depends on how much ornamentation you like on your pens. The Jr. Gent, Jr. Gent V2, an Baron are nice, comfortable sized pens that gives you the option of having a posting or non-posting end. They are also very cleanly designed, with little ornamentation, and look great with highly figured wood or synthetics. The Gentleman's pen is also nice, but bigger. It's cap can't be posted. The next step up, IMHO, in ornamentation is the Statesman/Jr. Statesman v2. These add a little touch of "class" to the pen, without going overboard. However, the caps on these pens cannot be posted either. Next up the ornamentation scale, at least of the pens currently available, is the Emperor. This is a big honkin' pen, and the gold version of it is a little flashy. I carry one, but I'm trying to attract attention to my pens - most people I've spoken with think it's a little over-the-top. The black titanium version is more subtle, though to my conservative eye, the ornamentation in the trim makes it less appropriate for highly figured woods or synthetics. There's a new Jr. Emperor that's coming out soon, and that might just be a fantastic pen, but we haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

So, my recommendation is either the Jr. Gent V2, Baron, or Jr. Statesman v2 if you're in a hurry, or the Jr. Emperor just for something different if you're willing to wait a few weeks. Since you've already done the Baron, I'd lean toward either the Jr. Gent v2 (which is slightly larger than the Baron) or the Jr. Statesman V2's.

reed43

If you choose the Jr. Statesman you can buy the same posting threaded end that the Jr. Gent uses from craft supply. It adds about $2.50 to the cost of your pen kit. Just ask for the platinum threaded end caps when you order.

gerryr

If you want a big pen, I would say either the Emperor, Statesman or solid Sterling Silver EL Grande. If you want a smaller pen, then either the Jr. Statesman or the new Jr. Emperor if you can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom