Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff turns

What is the best and easiest pens to turn for the beginner. I like the twist pens. but not sure what kits to buy and who is the best to buy from. Thanks for any info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

The easiest to turn seem to be the slim lines. But single barrels like the Sierra pens are simple as well. Most any of the vendors here on IAP sell them.

Jim Burr

Banned
Not sure what Wayne is getting at, but after a few hundred Sierra's, nothing easy about slims. On the "Over asked" side...tons of threads on this subject. Why settle for easy...settle for a challenge!

larryc

There sure seems to be a wide choice of different kits available. I received my 2013 Holiday catalog from PSI today and it has some 90+ kits on the first 50 pages with a whole slew of new ones.

Jim Burr

Banned
I saw some of those Larry...ordered a few for a new twist. Concava, although kinda simple looking, caught my eye...bought the "starter" pack. Surprised at the fast shipping from PSI!

Whaler

I seems like a lot of people start with turning slim lines because they are cheap. They are not the easiest to learn on and if you start with them you will soon move on to better kits. In my opinion the Sierra is a good place to start and then move on from there. If you never turn a slimline you will have missed nothing.

Adillo303

Just my two cents ( dumb noob warning installed) I would suggest the Big Ben Cigar from PSI. My reasoning is this. The thickness of the wood after turning down to the hushings is pretty generous. It is a two piece pen like a slimline, but, it may well be more forgiving. At three bucks vs eight bucks, however, you can trash 2.5 slimlines for the cost of one Big Ben.

Last edited:

longbeard

Sierra style's, virage, bullet pens anything with a single barrell you will be better off in the long run. Once you make one or a few then you make a slim, you'll be glad you started with single barrelled pens, they look better, sell better, easier and faster to make too. JMO

Last edited:
I have only turned a hand full so far but I like the Aero. It is a single barrel, has some nice finish options and it has probably the most amount of material left on the tube. The Sierra ends up with .031" while an Aero has .0635 left.

Mike

kovalcik

I agree that Sierra style pens are easier, but there are a few reasons to include slims as some of your first pens.

First, they will challenge you a little bit. Never a bad thing. IMO the challenge is not so much that you will be overly frustrated.

Second, quantity. Just a quick look at woodturningz.com, you can get 10 slims for for ~$20. Thats a lot of pens to practice on and get better. You can only buy 3 of their Mesa pens (Sierra style) for that money. The only way to improve is to turn a lot of pens.

Third, Creativity. A sierra pen is a Sierra pen. They do not offer much leeway to change the design. Do a search on customizing slimlines and you will be amazed what you can do with a $2 kit. Keeps things from getting boring and lets you explore getting away from the basic bushing/mandrel routine. You can learn to measure and develop your eye as far as coming up with pleasing shapes and proportions, and explore different turning techniques and tools. All that will be useful moving onto other pen kits and also might give you a nudge to try modifying other kits or even try kitless pens.

southernclay

I was fortunate enough to have my dad's neighbor give me a couple of lessons, I ordered some slimlines because he told me too : )

I'm close to venturing into other kits now but have messed up one, had to disassemble one and wasn't sweating on messing it up. Didn't fortunately but I wouldn't have thought twice if I did, only learned from it. I'm just making them to give away for now, my wife and mom like the slimlines. I've got one on my desk now I like just fine, left it pretty fat in the middle and fits my hand ok

Have fun!!

jzerger

Even though the single barrel pens are "easier" to turn and put together, the one advantage (I thought huge at the beginning) is that you can order ffrom PSI pre-cut pre-drilled blanks for the slimline (also work for the "comfort style") pens. Since I had no drill-press (only a hand drill) this was an advantage for me as I could concentrate on the "turning on the lathe" whichh was entirely new for me.

Have Fun!

StuartCovey

The Slimline components are the easiest to get accessories for. I started out with the 30 assorted Slimline Funline pack at Penn State. They only cost $1.25 per component kit so I didn't have any worries if I ruined one of them.
I would not recommend starting with the Sierras (also known as Arrow) for the cost per component kit, usually at least $5.

Stuart

JD Combs Sr

The Slimline components are the easiest to get accessories for. I started out with the 30 assorted Slimline Funline pack at Penn State. They only cost $1.25 per component kit so I didn't have any worries if I ruined one of them.
I would not recommend starting with the Sierras (also known as Arrow) for the cost per component kit, usually at least $5.
Stuart
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. If your goal is to learn to turn then my recommendation is to stay with inexpensive slimlines. Two reasons: first, the hardware is very cheap relatively speaking, 2nd you have two barrels to "practice" and develop your skill on. That practice will cost you in the neighborhood of a couple bucks. To get the same practice with a single barrel pen, in most cases it will be 3-4 times that. However, if you are already a turner and you are just looking to diversify then single barrel pens might be a much better beginning. Just MHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom