Pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfolk

If you could only make 5 different pens (under $15) which ones would you choose. I'm ready to try something new and am not sure what to pick.

Thanks
Dennis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Duke ballpoint $15
Retro rollerball $15
Lau Lau woodworks

Aero ballpoint $10
Classic nib

Bolt action ballpoint $14
PSI

76winger

Bolt action
Comfort or Trimline
Gatsby / Sierra
Vetex RB or FP
Tycoon / Jr Gent
Cigar

I know that's six, but I gotta try... :biggrin:

Phillikl

If you are looking to spice up your slimline life, check out these videos.
Videos | Page 1 of 1

As for kits:
Polaris (favorite of the week)
Cigar
Sierra
Vertex

Had to save a few week allowance, but got a Majestic and Nova Sceptre' from PSI and really enjoyed making a high end pen (after they was finished of course, during I was a stress hat).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My Thoughts

This is a difficult question - many of the pens mentioned are a brand names where the same or very similar pens are available from other suppliers under different names.

Having said that

A single bbl kit in the popular Sierra (barrel twist)/Gatsby (finial twist) style available from many different suppliers under almost as many different names and with a wide range of finishes and prices..

A non-slimline 7mm twist - there are again lots of choices from lots of suppliers with lots of different names. Euro/designer/comfort/streamline are a few of those names. The price range of these kits are is not as broad and there's a good selection of finishes.

A slimline 7mm twist - low price and the widest variety of finishes to choose from. These are generally low priced from any supplier.

A Postable rollerball...Again, there are a wide variety and while most turners end up with a favorite - there are not a whole lot of differences between them in the price range you are talking about.

A Cigar style - this is another one like the 1st listed above but it has the advantage that most suppliers call it by the same name "Cigar". There are many different suppliers and a wide range of finishes and prices. There are also some minor variations in the style.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Under $15:
Sierra Elegant Beauty ballpoint
Perfect Fit Ti Gold ballpoint
Triton Chrome/Gold roller ball
Presimo chrome /brushed aluminum RB/FP
Presimo Chrome/ sculpted aluminum RB/FP

As a note, when the Presimo was introduced, it had huge problems. But PSI has done a very nice job with the fix on this pen (in fact, a little too good of a job. It's now difficult to remove the clip and cap liner for customization). This set looks quite impressive and sells very well for me.

I would use some that are less than $15 and some that are just a bit more.

Atrax
Sierra Elegant
Jr. Gent 2 (these are a bit more than $15 but the Atrax will cover the extra and they use the same bushings)
Triton(same bushings as Atrax and Jr.Gent 2 uses shorter tubes than the other 2 so if you have a blowout you may be able to save it on a Triton)
Cigar

Now as I said these will average out to be less than $15 per kit. Look at CSUSA as they get a good discount on Artisan pens if you purchase more than 10. Also all of the artisan pens will count toward the discount!

MTViper

I hate it that there are different names for the same pens, so here are my choices - with suppliers:

From Beartooth Woods
Cigar Stylus
Sierra Stylus
Churchill
From PSI
Vertex Supreme
Bolt Action

Top Bottom