Pen Kit Suppliers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdwilliams999

Folks,

I have been turning pens for over a year now, and have been exclusive with WoodturningZ and Penn State. Overall I have been happy with the kits and service. Not a big fan of the Slimline because of very inconsistent cartridges.

My question is regarding Silhouette. I have heard a lot of good things about them for a year now, and how great their pen kits are. I have tried looking at their site but find it agrevating. The pictures are very small and it is really hard to see the products and many of the pictures are a bit harsh and are not overly flattering.

Not to put down their product but its hard to buy something you can't see well.

It seems that most or all of their kits are made in Tawaiin instead of China, but what does that really get you?

Just looking for some advice and experience from those who have more than I do. It would be especially nice to hear from some of you that may have been down my road and made the switch.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I've branched out and tried many of the suppliers that we find in the IAP as well. However, I too haven't used AS for the same reason. However, with new ownership, hopefully the utility of the site will change for the better in the coming months.

Tom T

I use woodcraft and have been very happy. There variety is limited, but they just came out with more stuff. I have been looking for a higher end kit.

Old Lar

I use mostly Beartooth Woods, and Exotic Blanks, some Smittys, AS, Wood n Whimsies and Woodturningz, and PSI a little. I get most of my blanks from these vendors and IAP members.
I buy different kits and parts from all of these vendors. Depends on what my customer wants, whats available and where I feel I am getting good value. Most give great great service.

CaRed

I have used Arizona Silhouette for a few years now. I have never had any problems. I like the large selection from small to large and heavy to light. They had basic cheap kits and more expensive. You are right, the website was a little clumsy. I always had fast shipping and no problems with accuracy. I hope the new ownership does as good with customer service. Hope this helps.

brownsfn2

Hard to name just one good supplier but if I were you I would go to the vendor review section and take a look. I would support IAP supporting vendors first and then look elsewhere if they do not have what you need. I have never been let down by a vendor that supports IAP.

ren-lathe

Most of the kits A.S. are from Berea Hardwoods as are the kits from Bear tooth & Woodcraft although woodcraft renames some of theirs, for instance baron sold by A.S. is a navigator at woodcraft, and Bear Tooth does not carry that variety. The Virage at Berea, Bear Tooth, A. S. is the princeton at Woodcraft. I buy from all three as well as others depending what else I need at the time.

OOPS

I have used Ariz. Sil. before for several orders and liked their products and service. Some of the things I have purchased (not just kits, but lathe parts, etc.) were good quality items which will last me a lifetime. I also liked the fact that I got a PREMIUM freebie blank with each order, and each time it was an expensive wood blank.... something that really made me REMEMBER Ariz. Sil. each time I saw it.

I have also used, with success: Bear Tooth Woods, Woodturningz, Wood N' Whimsies, Indy Pen Dance, and Exotic Blanks, as well as Penn State and CSUSA. I have not had problems with any of these dealers. Some of your problems might be from purchasing lower priced kits from Penn St. or Woodturningz. The more expensive kits in their line are more durable.

Oh, when it comes to getting a nice freebie, Exotic Blanks has always sent along a blank that is either nice (not necessarily more expensive) or a blank that I might not typically purchase. I have been surprised more than once by getting one of these that turned out to be eye-popping. Finally, I have sent them emails (even later into the evening) and had very quick replies. They also frequently answer questions to help us all along on this site.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

I buy from a lot of the suppliers - depending on what I need. I find Exotic Blanks, Bear tooth woods, AS, Beara hardwoods , CSUSA, Classic NIb, Indy pen dance to all be great to work with. I have had special situations with each of these and they have all responded in a "great customer satisfaction is my goal" manner. I have bought from others but have not had the great cust sat experience. Not saying they wouldn't provide it but haven't experienced it.

Top Bottom