Pen kit similar to Lau Lau's Duke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hagemierj

I am a fan of La Lau Woodworks' Duke pen...

I know that Dacom offers essentially the same kit but call it Ceres, with red white and blue accents. Does anyone know if these are the only two options for this style of kit?

Second, any ideas where could get my hands on some bulk of this style and cut the cost a little?

Thanks,

J

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

The Ceres with the red while and blue is just a horrible mistake. How they could ruin a nice kit like that baffles me...

I'd like to get some of the duke as well - the ballpoint mostly but the other as well and would love to have a group buy.

Laulau only lists quantity discounts at. 10%. I don't know if they would be any better at higher quantities over 100.

hagemierj

I'm with you there Dan. The RWB has a small possible niche with the military crowd I run in but I've never committed to buying the kits to confirm it. I love the Duke's look, but was disappointed with the discount offered as well. I suppose it's possible that Lau Lau has the market on the non-ceres styling but that just seems unlikely to me. I just wonder what the alternatives are.

Thanks!

J

Dan Masshardt

I'm with you there Dan. The RWB has a small possible niche with the military crowd I run in but I've never committed to buying the kits to confirm it. I love the Duke's look, but was disappointed with the discount offered as well. I suppose it's possible that Lau Lau has the market on the non-ceres styling but that just seems unlikely to me. I just wonder what the alternatives are. Thanks! J

The alternative is probably to order hundreds of them from the manufacturer, unfortunately.

I may be placing an order to try the duke, but it's just pricey. I've heard the quality of all laulau kits is excellent though

hagemierj

I bought one, the quality is great... just waiting for the perfect blank before I hit it.

BTW, I am not suggesting the kit is "overpriced" just wondering about alternative sources with hopes of competitor pricing to kick in! It would be great to find out where the kit originates from as well.

J

Dale Lynch

The Duke ballpoint is a top quality kit.My personal favorite twist style ballpoint.You would be hard pressed to find a better quality kit for $15 anywhere.

hagemierj, the kit is made by Dayacom.

Last edited:

hagemierj

Spanx, at 15 bucks I'd be Lau Lau's #1 referrer... they cost $22 each for the rollerball two-piece nowadays. Oh, I probably should have been clear about that, not talking about the ballpoint. Sorry if that confuses anyone.

Dale Lynch

Well nevermind my opinion then,cause I don't have the same love for the rollerball styling.The endcap on the lower barrel just doesn't do it for me.

hagemierj

Appreciate your opinion, I should have been more specific. I like the look of both rollerball and ballpoint but find the two-piece rollerball a little more "sophisticated" I guess. I double checked Dayacom and didn't find the rollerball version that Lau Lau has. Maybe I'm just missing it.

J

Dan Masshardt

Well nevermind my opinion then,cause I don't have the same love for the rollerball styling.The endcap on the lower barrel just doesn't do it for me.

I was actually looking at it again I don't like the gold bands that much on the rollerball

Honestly, it's different but doesn't seem that much better than the jr gent It would be nice if the clip was available from the duke to use on Jr

I really like the ballpoint, so I'm with you there Spanx

I think the citizen rollerball kit has a similar clip, that r&b sells I think

Dale Lynch

Well you could always buy a jr gent and a duke ,then swap the clips but I think the duke would be pissed.

The citizen is also a favorite of mine,great for closed end.

hagemierj

I was actually looking at it again I don't like the gold bands that much on the rollerball

Honestly, it's different but doesn't seem that much better than the jr gent It would be nice if the clip was available from the duke to use on Jr

I really like the ballpoint, so I'm with you there Spanx

I think the citizen rollerball kit has a similar clip, that r&b sells I think

That's something for sure... it was the gold bands that I like the most!

Dale Lynch

If we all liked the same things there would be no variety,and that would be no fun at all.By the way,I like the rings I just dont like where there placed on the endcap,I would like it better if they were in front of the threads instead of after.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Of course to do a group buy you would all have to agree on ONE kit and ONE plating and be willing to buy hundreds. But, if you COULD do that, you might save a few dollars per pen. Based on most of the group buys, that means some guys MIGHT save $20---the most any ONE person buys is 10 or 20 of ONE style.

Amazing how far we will go to avoid giving Aaron a couple bucks for finding a design (one out of dozens he's tried) that is well liked.

Dan Masshardt

Of course to do a group buy you would all have to agree on ONE kit and ONE plating and be willing to buy hundreds. But, if you COULD do that, you might save a few dollars per pen. Based on most of the group buys, that means some guys MIGHT save $20---the most any ONE person buys is 10 or 20 of ONE style. Amazing how far we will go to avoid giving Aaron a couple bucks for finding a design (one out of dozens he's tried) that is well liked.

Ed, I meant asking Aaron about something through him Not the manufacturer

makaiolani

Hi Guys,

I finally got on to check out my messages. If you guys would like to do a group buy I can definitely help you out. Just let me know what you all are interested in. I have to gain significant interest in a particular kit before I order it. Honestly, I have over 80k in inventory at my house and I can't keep bringing in every kit out there so if you guys have significant amount of interest in one kit I can definitely order it and bring the pricing down.

Thanks
Aaron

Top Bottom