Pen Kit Quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

How can I tell the quality of the kit without buying it? Is there a way to look at the specifications or manufacture? I noticed a big price difference for cigar pens from one site to the next. I figure it must be the quality of the plating.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Some of it is word of mouth, trial and error. I personally have had good luck with kits bought from several vendors. To name a few, Woodcraft, PSI, Woodturningz, Woodnwhimsies, Exotic Blanks, CSUSA, etc. I have had my run in with less quality kits imo, but I will keep that to myself. I think what sways me more than kit price sometimes is shipping cost. There can be a huge difference at times. Some of these are resellers of the same places kits too. I know many have their favorites as I do. Best suggestion I can give you is to do some Internet searches for any vendor you are thinking about and see if people give them good reviews or not. PSI has a review per items. Many times before I decide if I will try a kit I read the reviews. In the end though sometimes it will come down to what you discover for yourself or through people who buy from you. Hope that helps some. I am sure opinions will vary.

ryvnd2001

I have notice a big difference based mostly on price. CSUSA's apprentice works fine but just isn't the same as their "ball point" cigar. The thought of getting what you pay for rings true.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
How can I tell the quality of the kit without buying it? Is there a way to look at the specifications or manufacture? I noticed a big price difference for cigar pens from one site to the next. I figure it must be the quality of the plating.

Often it goes back long before the plating is applied. Look with some good
magnification and you can see rough parts under the plating, dents and
scratches, pitting etc. The parts should be cleaned and polished before they
go to the plater. Many of these are not.

Lee K

I have started looking here for reviews / comments. You have to be 'rational' about it, because opinions will vary greatly.

I like to read the functioning facts and assembly issues before I buy something new.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ask

Ask - lots of times you'll find someone who has used the kit you're interested in.

Kalai

Well, I like the slim line pen kits I get from Smitty, I have bought hundreds of them, soon to be thousands and I never had any problems with the kits, I think out of all those maybe 2 had defective transmissions and about 5 or so had a nib that did not fit so I grinded the nib a bit and it fits perfectly so over all I get good quality kits from Smitty.

I also buy Cigar and ultra Cigar kits from Bill B. at Arizoina S. and I have never had any problems with Bills kits either. That is what I get mostly, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

Top Bottom