Pen Kit Quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilv58

I know this may be an explosive topic but here it goes. Years ago I started pen turning. Not for the purpose of selling pens but to make "works of art" at lease in my own eyes. Pens that I would use, keep and give as gifts. I found out I could get beautiful pen blanks some made from exquisite and rare wood. But the pen kits were primarily of medium to low quality. Gold plating too thin, chrome finished the would rub or flake off. Mechanisms that failed or became loose.

So I am returning to pen turning with somewhat similar goals. So here comes the hand granade. Which pen kits out there are of good to high quality? What should I look at and what should I avoid? I don't mind spending $15-$30 for a good kit. Is that a reasonable budget?

Dios y Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Peter Durand

Good post and I second the question. If one buys a standard Parker pen in a store, it will click a zillion times without breaking. I am looking for that type of quality mechanism.

Cheers,

Peter

KenV

Gil

From time to time this topic gets bashed around. Jim Burr will likely provide search results for several recent ones.

My take is that it comes down to the individual perception of "value". Much art is in the eye of the beholder, affected by advertising.

Your pricing is high middle for components offered.

I use more chrome plating than any other, because I percieve it as durable. I have been using stainless steel components because a couple of accidental incidents showed them to be very durable unless you wanted to disassemble them

I do a few "fancy" high priced versions a year with special blanks. They are far from perfect, but look good and gussied up for the special occasion. Kind of like me when I put on a tux.

So what does "quality" and "value" look like to your eye and personal filters?

So-- what does "quality" look like to your eye and sense of

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Haven't you heard????:smile-big:

If you want good quality, you now need to stop buying el cheapo Kits and go for the new up and coming Component Sets. :rolleyes:

Then you need to knock down your man-cave workshop and build a Studio.

Then you need to grow a little pointy goatie and call yourself an Artiste.

I'm not sure how all the pretentious BS works, but apparently it's the new craze..:biggrin:

But 'Quality' is great subject here....18000 variations on what it means, but the threads are always a good laugh once some of the old timers get wound up.:)

I reckon we should have a whole new forum dedicated to the quality of kits ( oops-a-daisy.....I mean Component Sets ):tongue:

Dan Masshardt

Most of the kits are of decent quality.

I've avoided gold completely from the beginning.

Generally speaking if you look through the show off your pens section you'll see some nice options.

Dan Hintz

Which pen kits out there are of good to high quality?

This is such an explosive question because it's ill-defined. Perhaps the proper question should be closer to "What kits have sharply defined features, robust platings, and smoothly-operating mechanisms?"

The original question must be defined by the person providing an answer before an answer can be given. In the latter case, the question is more well-defined and leaves less room for opinion.

plano_harry

There is not much information to go on. Are you talking Cross style, fountain pen, or something in between? Is "quality" a plating rating, or does it include X amount of bling?

If you just want random opinion, I like Rhodium Jr Statesman fountain pen with a Bock nib upgrade for my best pens - oh yes and it has to be non-posting. Posting bruises my quality impression. If the customer wants to go higher, I will do whatever they want.

kingkeyman

Best quality- Any of lazerlinez stainless kits. Worst is probably the funline kits from PSI. The only other kits I've had any issues with were the hart double twist from woodcraft. I'm not crazy about the Berea cigar pens, haven't had any real problems with them, but PSI kits seem like they are just a notch better. Hope this helps

Top Bottom