Pen kit name correlation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

Anyone know of a resource that correlates the names of pen kits? At least for the less experienced, it'd be nice to know what all the different names are for the same pen, when shopping around. :question:

Skie_M

There are occasionally several styles of the same basic pen design offered, and those kits are generally well known with just a little bit of digging ....

The real problem comes along when pen makers, in an effort to keep their customers from discovering where they get their kits from and how much they cost, change the name/style/manufacturer and price, accordingly. Sometimes it's in an effort to charge a premium for their work, other times it's a sneaky way to ensure that the customer has to come back to you for parts and repairs, since they can't find their pen kit or manufacturer online ...

Typically, you'll see a lot of clones and variations around the Sierra line, as well as the original slimline styles.

magpens

As far as I know there is no resource that correlates identical pen kits sold under different names.

It does happen that identical kits are sold under different names, but not a lot. . In my opinion, it is not worth your while worrying about that.

One pair of identical kits under different names that I will mention (only because I am familiar with them) is the Long Boy from BereaHardwoods.com, and the Script from Woodcraft.com. . I would not be surprised if both of these kits come from the same original source (which could be Dayacom.com in Taiwan, but I am not positively sure).

Oh, another such pair, is the Professor and the Exemplar, and Daycom is the source for both of these, as far as I know. . (It is difficult to buy directly from Dayacom unless you buy quantities of 500 kits, or so).

In my opinion, a more important concern is that you will find out that there are several DIFFERENT kits that use the same tube size and bushings, but they are different kits and they look different, at least on close inspection.

The most common kits in this category are:

Sierra Twist, Mesa, Gatsby, Ellipse, Zodiac, etc., and you could include Virage (which, unlike the others mentioned, is a *very* obviously different style). . All of these kits use a single brass tube which is 27/64" in diameter and 2.21" long, and they all use the same bushings. . There are more than I have listed.

There is also a pen style called a Junior Gent II, which uses two tubes, and there are a number of other kits which use identically the same tubes, but are very obviously different kits and you would not confuse them once you saw them both.
One such kit is the Junior Statesman. . Many of these kits have "Junior" in the name, but not all, and also, not all kits that have "Junior" in the name use identical tubes.

The most important thing to know about the Sierra Twist category is that they all use the same bushings, so that saves you buying duplicates. The same is true of the Junior Gent II category.

I think you should just be patient and buy the kits that seem appealing to you, and in time, you will get to know the differences and similarities of the various kits. . Be prepared for differences in quality, even for kits that look pretty much the same. . There are two ways to know about quality differences: buy and try, or ask someone here who has experience (and/or opinions). . Only the first way is guaranteed to give you the answers you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom