Pen kit material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Not clear about the question - are you asking about the substrate or the plating?

The plating is as described by the vendor. But the question about the substrate triggered some testing.

I have four kit fountain pens, and a kit stylus in front of me on my desk.

The gun metal-plated stylus, and the gold-plated El Grande FP that I've had for 6-7 years both appear to have a ferrous metal substrate - they are attracted to a magnet. But the two 10k gold plated CSUSA Artisan FPs (kits purchased in 2010) and the PSI Chrome Big Ben FP (kit purchased last year) do not react to a magnet, so it is not clear what the substrate is.

My guess is that the nature of the substrate varies with manufacturer, kit, and vintage.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not clear about the question - are you asking about the substrate or the plating?

The plating is as described by the vendor. But the question about the substrate triggered some testing.

I have four kit fountain pens, and a kit stylus in front of me on my desk.

The gun metal-plated stylus, and the gold-plated El Grande FP that I've had for 6-7 years both appear to have a ferrous metal substrate - they are attracted to a magnet. But the two 10k gold plated CSUSA Artisan FPs (kits purchased in 2010) and the PSI Chrome Big Ben FP (kit purchased last year) do not react to a magnet, so it is not clear what the substrate is.

My guess is that the nature of the substrate varies with manufacturer, kit, and vintage.
I think you'll need to ask the manufacturer....I think a lot are brass but the substrate will vary with the final plating.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Brass, plated with copper, then plated with nickel, then whatever.
True in a lot of cases but not all...I do think that the bulk of them do start with brass. But some require a particular substrate to get the color...I think Black Tn usually goes on with a chrome substrate to get the right color.

Top Bottom