Pen kit input wanted (PSI Combo-Pen2)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Has anyone made one of these? I have not been happy with the CSUSA combo pen I made a couple weeks back, but love the concept. On the PSI one, is that a rubber grip on the nib end and if so, can it easily be left off for a solid wood lower end? Most important, is the transmission firm and has a decent feel? Also, does anyone have a kit they can check the bushing size for me? I am curious how close the CSUSA bushings are to it. It's on page 31 of they catalouge. Item # PKCCOMBO2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

Just finished one last night. The bushing sizes are:
tip 0.444 in
center 0.459 in
cap 0.419 in

There should be no problem replacing the rubber grip with wood. For any pen kit. The transmission seems to work fine. It has positive detent positions for the pen and pencil tips and is easy to turn.

Paul in AR

kghinsr

I have turned a few of these pen/pencil kits with great success. the only problem that I can see with the kit is that it unscrews when turned to the left this is not a big problem but it still happens none the less. I have two of them that I currently use and my son has one we both like them alot.
ken

Firefyter-emt

FYI, the CSUSA kit bushings are not the same. One end would work, and you would need to leave the center proud, but the hard part would be timming the clip end smaller than the bushing. I guess I will just pick up a set with a kit. I use a pencil for work, but like to have a pen handy.

mdburn_em

I just turned two of these pen/pencils. I really like how they look, and as was previously stated, the rubber grip can be left off and wood used instead. My only problem with this item is the action is not smooth. I would liken this problem to one I have with the PSI Big Ben rollerball and a Baron from AS. The Big Ben is hard to screw together, parts aren't machined well, customers usually have to try repeatedly to get it back together. The Baron is like a hot knife through butter. Smooth and easy every time. Kits are approx the same price.
I had thought about trying the combo from Craft Supply but I think I will stick with this one after reading your post.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom