Pen Kit Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

I was wondering, how in other people's mind pen kit finishes hold up. Such as 24 kt gold, 10k gold, ti gold, etc. I have a couple of 24kt gold pens that I use consistently every day and they haven't worn down. Does this depend on the user? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harris

Penn State says they have a special finish on their 24k plating with a lifetime warranty. What's the real scoop.

Harris

Chasper

The au courant here abouts attest that 24k will wear off in short order and unquestionably that is an insight that comes out of experience. However, I have an uneasy feeling that the claim is more common knowledge than common experiece. The latest PSI warrenty is impressive. Despite the fact that "everybody" knows that 24k wears poorly, I've started using it on a few pens to see for myself.

The only wear problems with platings that I've had came from a batch of cigars that I bought because they were alleged to be ti-gold. I suspect they were no ti-gold because the plating wore off from setting in the carry cases.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
24k platings that we've been seeing definitely wear, and pretty quickly. That doesn't
mean that someone can't come up with a thicker 24k plating that will last longer.
Some of the '24k platings' will wash off with solvent.

My experience with lifetime warranties is that they know they'll get few returns, so
it is worth it to replace the few that do get returned. That does not mean that the
plating is any better, just that they warranty it. Not unlike the money back guarantee
you'll see on TV, but you pay the shipping and handling fees, re-stocking fees, wait
on hold to get a return authorization etc. etc. Yes, it is guaranteed, but they'll make
sure it isn't worth your while to do return it. It's a game of numbers.

Not saying that's what is going on here, just pointing out that 'lifetime warranty'
doesn't mean it will never wear.

My main problem with the finishes isn't even the plating as much as the poor finish
underneath the platings. This can also cause the plating to fail.

tone

the first pen I made was a 24k psi slim. I carried and used it every day for over a year without any noticeable wear. I made one of their rhodium slims for a coworker and twice it wore off in less than 4 months mostly on the ball of the fancy clip. I then tried the chrome from woodturningz. It lasted for about a year before wearing off. I then tried the silver and it's been about a year without wearing off.

Top Bottom