Which pen kit is easiest for you to make?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Which pen kit is easiest for you to make?
Meaning, which pen kits do you prefer to turn for ease of use?

I haven't turned enough pens to form an opinion yet, and I am interested in what the community says, in general.

If it's not too much to ask, please tell why you like turning that specific kit also.
Thanks for any replies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

For me it is the 30 Cal Bolt Action because it looks good with straight sides.

I don't like the Sierra-style pens to have straight sides, so I make them bulged out by about 0.025" at the middle and that means taking more care about the turning and measuring. . If it weren't for that I would say they are equally easy.

elyk864

I'd say the Magnetic Cap Vertex kit, only one tube and two pieces to press in. Also the end pieces are more robust than other kits so you don't have to worry about bending/screwing up threads. Also both ends can unscrew so if you like the material one way or another you can reverse it anytime.

chartle

I choose the Gatsby over the Sierra because the lower trim ring does not have to be exact. Easy to turn to bushings and go. The Sierra I have t measure for a perfect fit.

I also don't like the raw end of the blank near the tip of a Sierra.

I'd say the Magnetic Cap Vertex kit, only one tube and two pieces to press in. Also the end pieces are more robust than other kits so you don't have to worry about bending/screwing up threads. Also both ends can unscrew so if you like the material one way or another you can reverse it anytime.

I've made a few of these and I agree, it's the easiest and fastest kit for me to make. Another plus is the hardware has beads where the barrel meets up, so you don't have to be as precise with the diameter of the barrel. Get it to the bushings, sand & finish, no measuring needed. The fountain pen also writes surprisingly well, it's my daily driver at my job and has garnered many compliments (I did use a beautiful piece of thuya burl which helps). The magnetic cap is icing.

CaptainJane

I like PSI Executive

Howdy. The PSI Executive is a single tube kit, available in several platings, is very reasonably priced, and takes the nice-writing Parker refill. (I upgrade all my pens to the Easyflow) You can easily buy extra tubes - that way you can make turn lots of blanks, but only "mount" the ones you like. The Executive is not too big, is suitable for both men and women, and looks classy.

Check them out.

gtriever

As a new turner, easiest is the Sierra /Gatsby, Sierra Vista /Gatsby Grande, or 30 cal Bolt Action. They're a little more forgiving to work with because of the finished size.

As a sidebar, I have to say that I get more sense of accomplishment turning what to me is a difficult pen to make ; I really enjoy turning slimline circuit board pen kits. Trying to get that final dimension without biting into the board components is tricky for a new guy... but boy, do they look good when they're done.

keithncsu

I would also vote for the Sierra for being the "easiest" for me. I also agree with the statements about the Gatsby trim ring allowing for less precision. However, my issue with the Gatsby kits was the precision needed for the tube length. I seemed to have a few issues with shaving too much barrel off and the refill sticking out too far. I've yet to have that issue with a Sierra and have not significantly changed my process.

As far as what kits I "enjoy" most...that's difficult. I think I tend to enjoy one piece pens over two piece from all the obvious reasons. However I'm always drawn to the Cigar. I just like it!

JohnU

I would also say Sierra but I like the Elegant Sierra with the flat top. Plus there's a large assortment of platings to choose from. I also give the body a slight taper and not straight barrel. They look nice and are an average size pen to hold, Quick to make and they fit nicely in the pocket.

Top Bottom