Pen kit durability/quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

krap22

A while ago i purchased some platnum baron kits. I turned one about 4-5 months ago. I carry it everyday with me. Something i have noticed, is that everywhere there is a black piece, the black wears off to a copper color. Is this normal for these? I have some people I want to give some pens to but i don't want the finish of the kit wearing of so soon. Are there any other pen kits i should try instead or are they all similar to this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

the black enamel coating on all the kits are the weak link. Barons, Cigars, Sierras, etc.

If you want to avoid that on the Baron, you can go to CSUSA and get the Jr. Gent kit in the platinum. No black enamel. But they cost more if I recall. You'll also have to buy different bushings as the tubes between the Baron and Jr Gent are different.

mick

Mike, I too switched from the Barons for the same reasons......however the Gold Titanium Jr Gent still has the black threads but I haven't had any returns to date because of wear.

Any body have any wear issues with parts of the Jr Gents, so far I've been very happy with them and the cost is close enough to the Baron.

Rudy Vey

A problem of this kit. I have started to omit the black centerband ring, here it normally starts. Saw some time ago a Baron I sold years ago to a friend and he uses it very much daily - looked horrible with all this copper colored areas.
Its just black paint covering these parts and wears off fast. Lately, I am using much more the Statesman Jr and the Retro (instead of the Baron) and they were my bestsellers last year.

krap22

I just ordered a few black titanium jr. gents. I'll try it out and see how the are. The titanium ones don't have any black on them. If they work out, i'll stick with them. They are very similarly priced.

lane223

Just don't use the black ring nor the upper plated ring. Here is an example:

Attachments

• PB260048.JPG
    PB260048.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 203

Russianwolf

Been using my Baron daily for over a year, and the only places I see the copper is on the threads. Barely.

I knoew the 10k Gent had the black, but I thought the Ti Gold was solid as well.

edit: as with Cindy, Mine is a Chrome Baron.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I have a Baron rollerball that I got in a Pen Swap and it is in my pocket all the time, along with tools, coins, etc. However, nothing has worn off yet. It is a chrome model.

mick

I sit corrected...I just went down to the shop and pulled a Gold Ti Jr Gent....No black on the threadeed finial. It does have the black ring on the centerband but like said above, that can always be left off. I used to do it all the time with the Baron.

A related question. How does the Gold band on the Centerband of the Rhodium Jr Gent hold up?

uncletim

black enamel

I'll chime in late on this one,,,I too was having this problem,but mostly with cigar pens from craft supply,,one day in frustration I took all the black parts apart,(?apart?) buffed them with a scotch brite wheel on the buffer, down to the brass, polished it lacquered it reassembled as a brass component and everyone loves the contrast with the chrome (almost all of my pens are chrome,to many complaints with gold) I've also powder coated these pieces black red etc...but just taking the black off is easy and adds a whole new dimension. I don't know about a baron, never had one but even the pressed part on the cap of a cigar will come out with a punch and a few bad words

Top Bottom