Pen Kit Comparisons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverscout

Has anyone out there done a comparison between the different pen kit suppliers and what the different kits are named and which one it compares to from another supplier?

There are some of us (okay, maybe just me) that know one or two that compare between two suppliers (such as Woodcraft and Penn State), but would like to know if there's a listing somewhere (anywhere!!!) I can access that would help me to save a little money.

I only ask as I've been mainly using Woodcraft kits, but would like to expand to other suppliers.

Also, any suggesting as to which one between the differently named same ones would be nice, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DanNelson

Adding a Me too to this.
Also, and I haven't searched for this, info on smaller, more unique mechanism suppliers. Happy to spend a little more for items not available everywhere- my pens are (very popular) gifts, so I mostly just make what I really want to make and find willing giftees.
And what about these people listing themselves as "kitless"- tell me more.

Thanks-
-dan

ldb2000

There is no direct comparison chart for the kits design but there is a chart for drill , tube and bushings chart on the front page . That shows which kits use the same sizes and are for the most part the same kits . Here's a link to the charts http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/bushingsandtubes.pdf

What info are you looking for about kitless pens Dan . I'm running the Penmakers Challenge in the Advanced penmakers forum , here's the link http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61805 . We will be working through the modifications to kits in several stages and the finial build will be some sort of kitless design , I haven't decided what it will be but it will require the skills and techniques learned in the rest of the Challenge.
Kitless don't mean there are no purchased parts just that you don't have to break up a kit to build one , the parts that are normally used can be purchased separately . Things like Transmissions and clips can be fabricated but are not cost effective to do for ballpoint pens . High end Fountain pens still use purchased nibs and feeds but these types of pens sell for allot more and clips become more cost effective to make or have made for you .
This is an example of a kitless pen , I made all of the parts except the transmission . This pen was made from Brass and Aluminum bar stock , and was made on a Jet 1014vsi wood turning lathe .

Last edited:

darrin1200

Butch that pen looks great.

How do you turn brass and alluminum barstock on your wood lathe?
Do you use your normal tools and rest?
Do you have a metalworking tool holder?

Thanks
Darrin

ldb2000

Yep , I use a regular tool rest and the same tools that I use for wood and acrylic , the PSI carbide tipped tool set (but regular HS tools work just as well , I just don't have to sharpen as often) . Brass and Aluminum are soft enough that you can turn them easily . I use a slower speed then I do for wood and acrylic and the technique is a little different but not much . Just keep your tools sharp and your tool rest tight to the work .

DanNelson

Butch-
it is a beautiful, fascinating pen!
Not sure I'm quite ready for the challenge (my school year is almost done, but the last month is a killer). I've been reading the challenge- fascinating!
Nice to know I can turn metal on the wood lathe- interesting; just thinking of all the fun ways I can get into trouble with that!

Kitless looks fun, too. Sounds like a great thing to investigate in my summer time.

Top Bottom