Pen Jaws or Spigot jaws for lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SawdustHappy

Hey Guys,
I am planning to get some extra jaws to help me hold the blank and keep it dead center for drilling the blanks. As I have had some drift issues with my drill press.

The Pen jaws I have seen at rockler are only 2 jaws, but seem pretty beefy. But I am wondering if the set of 4 spigot jaws isnt better, as it would hold the blank on all 4 corners?

Thanks again for all your help!
Sawdust Happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

I use four jaw chuck to drill most of mine. I have had good luck with odd shape blanks with this method. The only time I use the drill press is to drill to make certain that I can drill and keep some of the curve of antler blanks or knot or some feature of the blank that drilling off center requires.

Pierre---

I am a long jaws fan. If you chuck on the edges of a blank and tight the jaws, it is the better grip you can dream of, it will hold badly squared pieces, rectangular sections, as far as the edges are more or less parallel, like with the pen jaws. But most of the time you have four jaws instead of two when you are dealing with regular or slightly irregular blanks.
More important, when the barrel is nearly achieved or even totally finished, I often have to work the section (for a recess or to hide a clip for instance), so I wrap the barrel in paper and I grab it in the long jaws with a light hand: the diameter of the pen is a bit bigger than the ID of the jaws, so there is absolutely no mark on bare wood nor on CA finish.
For really irregular blanks, you need anyway a spring chuck to bring it to the round, and then to long jaws where again for are better than two!

budnder

You might also consider using collets to hold the blank. That does require the blank to be round before drilling, but you're going to turn it round anyway, so not that much of an extra step.

jttheclockman

Another post I can answer while I am here voting on my mug and shirt. I see Roy has given the true answer. Best way to drill a true hole is to turn the blank round and drill it using a collet chuck. If you insist on other type of chuck the pen jaws is that answer. Can hold odd shape blanks much better than 4 jaw chuck. 4 jaw chucks are also handy for other things so may want to get those too. Spend the money. You only live once.:)

My Nova pen jaws have performed flawlessly, and I prefer the length for getting a good grip on pen blanks. With only two jaws they hold warped burl blanks without a problem.

SawdustHappy

Which collet chuck would you recommend? Google is not being helpful at all. I am going to swing by rockler tomorrow and look at the Nova Pen chucks. And I will see if they collet chucks as well.

I found this collet chuck:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/101/4400/Apprentice-Collet-Chuck-7-Piece-Set

Is that what you were thinking? for 90 bucks, and I can do detail work that much easier, I may be sold!

Thanks,

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

I've drilled a lot of blanks of various shapes and sizes with the mini spigot jaws and never had a problem. They are very versatile and I use them for many things where the pen jaws are meant for one thing only.

Woodchipper

If a pen blank isn't perfectly square, it will "wobble" in the pen jaws. I found if I drilled to the end of the quill and withdrew the bit, the hole was enlarged when i reinserted the bit. I found if I left the bit in the blank and advanced the tailstock, the hole came out OK. But.........I found, unless I was doing a lot of blanks as production, it took too much time to change chucks, turn the blank to round, etc. I have drill press setup that is ready to go. Ed Brown, Exotic Blanks, has a video and he aligns the blank with the bit, clamps it and drills away! I need to take a photo of my setup for the forum.

Charlie_W

Which collet chuck would you recommend? Google is not being helpful at all. I am going to swing by rockler tomorrow and look at the Nova Pen chucks. And I will see if they collet chucks as well.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/101/4400/Apprentice-Collet-Chuck-7-Piece-Set

Is that what you were thinking? for 90 bucks, and I can do detail work that much easier, I may be sold!

Thanks,

The Beall collet chuck is a great addition to any lathe. I recommend buying the collet chuck body and the. Buy a metric set of collets on amazon. My set gives me 2mm-20mm by millimeters instead of the five in the Beall set.

Turn the blanks round, mount in collet, face the end square and dimple with a starter bit or a skew to help your bit start without wandering.

fernhills

I use a collet chuck whenever i can. If i have enough blank length to turn them to 3/4" first. Sometimes i just make it and lots of times i have plenty of length. Carl

eharri446

A while back, it was discussed about turning the blank round using a drive center and a live center and then drilling the blank.

The drive center mentioned was similar to this one: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-multi-tooth-drive-center-5-8-diameter-2-mt

I have done it a few times with an odd ball shaped piece of wood and it works well.

I used the Nova Pen Plus jaws and have not had a problem clamping a blank, whether it was square, rectangular, round, or oblong; it held them all securely.

magpens

You know, this subject comes up quite often.

I don't use a wood turning lathe, so maybe someone can tell me why my method won't work on one.

On my metal working lathe, I first turn the blank round between centers.
I know that is possible on a wood turning lathe too.

Then I grip the rounded blank in the headstock chuck and drill a nicely centered axial hole.

Maybe that is the part which is more difficult to do on a wood turning lathe.

But I would have thought that you could grip the round blank end with the inner jaws of the wood turning headstock chuck.

Should be easy to center it, because both end centers are marked from the TBC process. You can accurately center the blank by putting a pointed pin in your tailstock live center and grip the blank aligned to the axis. It may overhang quite a bit, but you can do this separately with each half of your blank to reduce the overhang.

And then you can drill, gripping the drill bit in your tailstock Jacobs chuck, starting very carefully. Once you get the hole 1/4" deep or so, there is not much further care needed.

So why does anyone with a wood turning lathe need to buy special chuck jaws for drilling ??? . As long as you have a headstock chuck you are good to go, and everyone needs a headstock chuck.

Or is it true that most wood turning chucks will not grip the end of a dowel as small as 3/4" diameter ?

Tell me what I am missing.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Mal, you are exactly correct and that is my process as well.
However, I don't have a metal lathe (yet :biggrin:) and I do the same thing on my HF 32" wood lathe. I get holes that are within .002" of dead center.
There is one additional step that I take that involves a dial indicator.
I turn the stock round and even over the length.
Then I sand it down to where it is real smooth. Then when I grip it in the scroll chuck, I make sure the end to be drilled is running true to center by using the dial indicator.
Sometimes I also dimple the end so most of the drill bit end taper enters at the same time.
One thing that will throw all this off is the variations of hardness within the wood. That will also sometimes make it more challenging to get the stock to spin on center.
Going very slow when the bit first enters the stock and holding the tail stock quill tight with the jamb screw is also a necessity, at least until the bit has entered about 1/4".
If the stock does not stay spinning at the same position when the bit is extracted, game over. It will wobble and vibrate and you will end up with a very strange looking hole that is neither round nor straight.

budnder

I originally purchased the er32 5 collet set from PSI that included a chuck, and then got the 2mm to 20mm 20 piece metric set of er32 collets off of ebay. I used the collets so much, I decided to upgrade after a year or so and got the Beale chuck. I really like it quite a bit better than the PSI one. I also found I never really used the PSI collets as the metric set had enough size variety for whatever I was doing.

The only other collet I picked up was an 21mm one, which I use quite often for things that are a fat 3/4". That's about the max size for er32.

So if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the er32 Beale chuck, the ebay metric set, and add a 21mm from ebay also.

magpens

Please clarify something for me, Roy.

I have long had the opinion that the PSI collet chuck set is not ER32 so I did not buy it.

If you are quite sure it is a true ER32, I would appreciate your confirming that please.

MTViper

I have both Nova PIN jaws (4) and PEN jaws (2) for my Supernova II chuck. I've drilled bunches of blanks that were square, round, or odd sized/shaped and had good luck with each. Best luck consistently was with the PEN jaws. I only use my drill press to drill blanks that require some type of special handling or won't fit in the PEN jaws.

KenV

I have long had the opinion that the PSI collet chuck set is not ER32 so I did not buy it.

If you are quite sure it is a true ER32, I would appreciate your confirming that please.

The difference between the PSI and CUSA collet chuck is the threading. PSI is up to 1 by 8 (and 3/4 by 16) and CUSA is 1 1/4 by 8 (and 1 b 8) Both use ER32 collets

Woodriver collet chucks from Woodcraft are not ER series.

Beale has ER32 and ER50 chuck bodies for sale

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Thanks,

The Beall collet chuck is a great addition to any lathe. I recommend buying the collet chuck body and the. Buy a metric set of collets on amazon. My set gives me 2mm-20mm by millimeters instead of the five in the Beall set.

Turn the blanks round, mount in collet, face the end square and dimple with a starter bit or a skew to help your bit start without wandering.

I'll agree with Charlie - Buy the full set! I use mine more often than I would ever have imagined.

budnder

I think it is - I used it with the the er32 metric set with no issues.

magpens

Thanks Roy and thanks Ken.

For some reason I thought that the PSI collet set was proprietary and "weird".
I see from their website that they claim ER32 compatibility.
Perhaps they have had a change since I last looked.

PenPal

Since the 1980,s I have used prismatic jaws (bought from Grizzly in the US) as a pair in my X Y controlled vice on my bench drill.I threw away the taiwanese motor fitted a one HP Australian made motor in the bench drill.

Went through and replaced the bearings on the drill press (great improvement). Fitted a quality drill chuck held in place by a threaded rod.

The pic I just found shows how I use the jaws in the horizontal Vee to clean out and lightly ream the blank after glue up. The vertical Vees take care of any misshapen blanks (I am always chasing grain).

That said later years obtained a Vicmarc two jaw chuck with chuck combined for small accurate turning of small cut square timber for Lace Bobbins etc. This covers all bases for me. I have a few sets of Collets ,love them also, courses for horses.

Attachments

• Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 167

randyrls

Eduardo; I would check to see if the collets are a standard type like ER32. If so you can get collets cheaply on Ebay. Get a full set of METRIC collets. The fractional sets have gaps in the clamping ranges above 1/2". The clamping range on an ER32 collet is 1/16" smaller than the specified size. Collets come in an array of alphabet soup sizes, some more common than others.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Spinzwood

Here is a thought. I doubt if the type of chuck jaws make much of a difference, I've had good luck with 4 jaws as well as 2 jaws. My "theory" with chuck mounted wood is that the center of the wood is essentially not turning (the closer to the center the slower it is turning in f/m, mm/m what have you.. so on a "molecular level" it is not spinning) Therefore, you need a good starting point. I have not experienced bring a drill up to a rotating piece and not having the tip wander away from the center, even if only a mm or two. Once started off center the entrance will be a bit larger in diameter and the exit hole will be off center by "x" amount.

While it is a bit more of a pain, I always spot drill my blank with either a stubby drill or a combo drill (https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...f3t7VjUaKWydovxYIscIJ-9AdkU9br0kaAhg1EALw_wcB ) Hope that link works. If not, Google "centering drill bit".

These bits are short and stout and will not "walk" off center. A good starting point will go a long way in helping you drill aligned holes that are not out of round or enlarged on the entrance end, IMHO

Spinzwood

The nice thing about those bits is that they are ground to 60°.. so, good for turning between centers as well.. for other things. They are a bit expensive.. but, you should never have a problem with breakage.. nor, should you ever have a problem with dulling in wood or acrylic.. unless you hit a sand inclusion.. even then, these bits are so rigid they should power in, no matter what.

Here is a set from McMaster... Not bad for 5 bits:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#center-drill-bits/=1adbots

Or, for stubby's, also at McMaster.. Possibly the 3/16 might be a good choice with 118° point.. ??
https://www.mcmaster.com/#stub-length-drill-bits/=1adbqm0

All that said, my choice would be the countersink starting drills based on beef.

another option which wold be free, would be to use the toe of your skew if you are comfortable. That should give you a great centered starting point. I use my skew.. but, I really prefer to use my countersink bit.

Top Bottom