Pen Instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco

I'm having a tough time completing the Americana pen from CSUSA. To me the instructions are confusing (actually to me, a lot of things are confusing). The instructions contain a diagram that show. a "short barrel" and a "long barrel" yet both of the brass tubes contained in the kit are exactly the same size. When I called their technical support department they told me that the instructions were worded incorrectly and that both of the tubes are supposed to be the same size.
Here's the problem. I followed the instructions exactly yet when the pen was assembled it did not work properly. When I twisted the pen to extend the writing tip it would not clear the end of the tip. I have no idea what I did wrong and neither did the tech support guy from CSUSA. The company was very nice and sent me another kit but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

I've only made a couple of CSUSA Americana's and none of them were twist pens. If you're using a twist mechanism you can continue to to push the mechanisum until the tip extends all the way, go very slowly when doing this. Don't give up on the first kit, it sounds like you can fix this. Please let us know what kit you are using, there are many Americanas.

nilsatcraft

Paco- I have an Americana at my desk and both tubes measure just a hair over 2". Is that the same measurement you get? If you're able to post a picture of your disassembled pen, that might help, too. Sometimes it's just something little and seeing it might help us figure it out.
EDIT: Jonathan- The standard Americana twist action pen actually uses a Parker refill so the mechanism threads onto the bottom half of the pen and can't really be adjusted just by pushing it further in. But, like you said, there are several types of Americanas so knowing exactly what type it is would help.

Paul in OKC

Is it a chrome kit? (is it the same as the flat top pen?) I have had issues with chrome kits not letting the refil extend through the nib on some. I assume it to be a little build up of the chrome inside. I have a small tool that I use to clean it out with.

gerryr

As Paul mentioned, it may be that the refill can't get through the hole. Take the pen apart and see if you can manually push the refill all the way out. If you can't, there is some "flashing" in there from the plating operation which isn't hard to clean out. A round jewelers file or a small drill bit will work.

If the refill will go all the way through, my question would be did you mill the blanks to be the exact length of the tubes. The first pens I did, the instructions did not say to do that, so not knowing any better, I didn't. The instructions came from Woodcraft and were basically useless.

its_virgil

The americana kits (from all mfgs) are very sensitive to:
(1) tube length...we must be sure we don't shorten the tubes when squaring the ends.
(2) clearance in the upper tube: The upper tube must be kept clean of all glue. Glue inside the tube will cause the tube to bind on the twist mechanism the pen will bind and not work properly. The transmission should (and must) pass freely through the upper tube. No restrictions. The tube often gets crushed when parting off the end of the blank for the centerband or the tube gets crushed when pressing on the centerband. After the centerband is installed, be sure the transmission will still pass through the tube. If not, I use a punch or drill bit (I think letter D bit) to open up the tube to its original ID.

After I started correcting these two problems (and I've had them both with all americana ballpoints) the pens are nice and easy to assemble and they work great.

Neither of these may be your problem. Plating inside the nib hole is something that happens quite often. I now check the nib hole for obstructions on each pen I make.

Do a good turn dailay!
Don

Pipes

Larry at Berea told me to use that little gauge and CUT the blank and square it up to length then put the tube in ! He said that was the only way he could make that kit consistenly ! I have no idea as I have a few a the kits here and not decided to have at them YET ....

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom