Pen ideas for scouters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody0207

My son is in Boy Scouts and close to having his Eagle done, so we will likely be leaving our Troop this year since he will be off to college. There are a couple people in the Troop who I would like to recognize for their contributions to the Troop and to Boy Scouts.

I've been thinking about possible colors and plating options. Boy Scout uniforms are tan in color, so that might be a possibility, but I'm really open to about anything. I would like the pen to be something in the class of a Baron, Jr. Statesman, etc. Also thought about finding a speciality clip, but haven't located anything related to scouts.

I know there are a lot of creative folks on this site. Any suggestions for materials / color combinations? Any interesting acrylics out there that might match the scout theme?

Any ideas appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeHelvey

Marty,
I've been involved with scouts for some time and we are moving so I was going to do some pens for the adult leaders before we go. I had looked at two options...one is making a pen out of old uniform fabrics. However, I think I'll make pens out of Osage Orange or Buckeye since those are local woods and laser engrave the scout logo or troop logo on them with their names.

Just a thought.
Mike

bobskio2003

As an old time Scouter myself, with a few years yet to go, I might be able to make a few suggestions. If the people you are giving the pen to have completed Woodbadge, you might consider a pen of beech. Although Beech is not the original wood used for the beads, most beads given out today are made from it. Another option is pine, to represent Pinewood Derby cars. I know this isn't a true Boy Scout thing but maybe they have been around since Cubs. Another option is some sort of local wood that might have come from a favorite Scout camp. Or even wood from an old Klondike sled. I know most of the woods I've mentioned are pretty plain but like what Mike said, get it engraved or engrave a special box. Lots of option there. Either way it sounds like your about to do your good turn daily. Bob I.

Tanner

When in Scouting we always saluted the American flag. When in the military we always saluted the American flag. At sporting events we always salute or hold our hand over our hearts in recognition of the American flag. On my Boy Scout uniform, which I still have, the American Flag is sewn on, along with my Eagle patch. I would say a couple of those American flag pens from Kallenshaan Woods would be perfect.

The Pledge Box with the pen would mean a lot too.

GBusardo

Originally posted by bobskio2003

Or even wood from an old Klondike sled. I know most of the woods I've mentioned are pretty plain but like what Mike said, get it engraved or engrave a special box. Lots of option there. Either way it sounds like your about to do your good turn daily. Bob I.

Lots of good ideas shared, but to me, this is the best one.

woody0207

Originally posted by GBusardo

Originally posted by bobskio2003

Or even wood from an old Klondike sled. I know most of the woods I've mentioned are pretty plain but like what Mike said, get it engraved or engrave a special box. Lots of option there. Either way it sounds like your about to do your good turn daily. Bob I.

Lots of good ideas shared, but to me, this is the best one.

There have been a lot of great ideas posted, thanks for all those who have contributed. :)

I wasn't aware of the Klondike sledding, after some Google searches, that looks like a lot of fun; but we just don't get much snow down here it Texas!

JohnU

I've been tempting this idea for a while with my son for his scout master. I was thinking about the celtic knot pen inlay and wondering if it could be layered in 2 or 3 small stacked sections so that when the design was done it looked like a bolo that some scouts have made out of leather. I was thinking about mulberry wood or an evergreen dyed buckeye since their uniforms are green and tan. Anything tan for the inlay and gold for the metal since most of their accents are red or gold. Just a thought. Of course if you have access to a laser engraver, small flag inlay with the scout symbol would be nice! I havent sold enough pens for my wife to let me buy one of those yet! I would really like to see the pen when you get it worked out if you dont mind posting a pic.

DanD23

I am looking at taking a standard pen, and gluing the Eagle lapel pin to the clip to make a special pen for a co workers Eagle Scout. I still have the tie slide I received which was this same pin, glued to a fluer de leis shaped Petosky Stone. The size is small, there is one that is like .25" square. Might be a similar one available for the Scout logo. Other idea is to inlay the logo on the upper barrel. casting is always an option too.

MikeInMo

I am few years behind you Marty. I am a Cub leader with a year to go, but I have started thinking along the same lines of trying to come up with something appropriate for the other adult leaders who have been with the pack for a number of years.

I like the laser engraved pinewood idea (maybe a 5.0 oz pen?), but while you guys have your Scout creativity going, any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Top Bottom