Pen hardware & glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

I was just sitting here fixing a vintage Sheaffer pen that needed the center-band / thread coupler re-attached on and it dawned on me. There are many of us that use lock tight, or CA to attach hardware. In the "vintage pen arena" the un-disputed "glue" is shellac. Shellac is used for many things from attachment of ink sac's to sealing sections on some pens. It can be removed with mild heat and does not damage the hardware or plastic. With the CA fuming issues we have trying to use CA or sticky parts from thread locker, I think that a shellac might be the thing to use on the pen hardware. It is, however, what the major pen makers have used for decades.

Thoughts??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Well, just to test this out, I used it to put togather a Jr.Statesman in blue lapis (gold plated kit) Overnight, with the kit put right togather there is not a sign of anything on the nib or section.

What a nice looking pen, I have been working on it for ages and decided to finish it off last night. I have a sample of that Noodlers Bay State Blue in the mail (with the other two Bay State colors) and I thought that the ink would fit this pen perfectly.

redfishsc

You caught my eye with the suggestion of shellac. I don't know of a more versatile product than shellac. It's used to make gel caps for some medicines, a wood finish, and now a glue? Wow. I can see that for sure.

Firefyter-emt

Yes, like I mentioned this is hardly new at all. Shellac has been used as a glue for pens for decades. The nice thing is a little bit of heat and the bond is broken and the part can be removed. It can also build up for a slightly loose part. For example, if I have a pen with a loose section, I can apply some shellac where the section contacts the barrel and allow it to dry. This alone will "fit" the section to the pen body and fix the loose part.

For pens that have ink sac's, this is what you use to glue the new sac to the section nipple too.

I have a small bottle that used to hold childs sized nail polish. (Some unknowing relation gave it to my daughter and she will not be using it at this age!) I dumped it out, and fluhed the bottle with acetone until it was all clean. This works perfect to brush the shellac onto the pen parts. However, most all pen part suppliers sell it just like this for cheap money.

bitshird

Lee, is this orange shellac? I know that there is an Engravers Shellac that is used to hold a plate in place while engraving is, but it comes in a stick, like the stuff to reattach fishing rod guides :confused:

Firefyter-emt

This is just the normal orange shellac for wood working. I "think" that the couple of re-sellers may mix a bit thicker shellac, but I have always used just some left over from my shop.

Top Bottom