pen gun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

If any of you are familiar with the potato guns you make out of pvc and sparkers from gas grills you will appreciate this story.

I was drilling an african blackwood blank on my metal lathe. First I drilled a small pilot hole to depth, backed it out and loaded up a 31/64ths to drill the hole. Backed it out once to clean away debri. Tried to drill the second half of the hole without backing out (im lazy) and created a lot of heat and smoke (some how the blank survived). When I backed the bit out it was very tight and the minute it left the hole I heard a noise (like a potato gun going off, only smaller) and a large compacted wad of dust and shavings shot out of the hole like a bullet. Never had that happend before. Anyone else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I was making some twig pots on the lathe yesterday PM and drilling past the flutes on the drill (5/8 inch). It puffed every time I backed the drill bit out and the end of the flutes came out of the bore. I was wondering what would happen if I left it in there a while but didn't want to find out.

aggromere

When my kids were younger we made quite a few pvc pipe potato guns. My cousin lives on a lake and I made a big one and it's at his house. When ever we have a cook out there we launch potatoes out into the lake. Some go 200 or 300 yards. It's cool.

Top Bottom