Pen finish not curing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting my preferred finish, Minwax poly to cure/dry on African Blackwood and Cocobolo. The finish just seems to stay sticky forever. I can't do a CA finish well and would like to continue to use the poly. Any ideas? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

On oily woods the Minwax doesn't like to dry. You might try putting on a sanding sealer coat of dewaxed shellac first. Make sure you use the dewaxed shellac and not the shellac with wax or the poly will not stick to it. You can buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. The can is labelled Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat 100% Wax Free Formula.

Wolfcoast

I run into the same problem with Olivewood. I do what Vis says but a little different.

I wipe the piece down with mineral spirits then hit it with a coat of the bullseye. The bullseye stuff dries fast so it can seal the piece before oils start to seep out again.

Rarely I have to do this a second time. Usually the first coat works.

Tim'sTurnings

The woods that I have not been able to have poly cure are Cocobolo and African Blackwood. There are probably more problem woods but these are the only ones I have tried. :mad-tongue:

sparhawk

Had this problem once and used ca on the blank , sanded smooth then finished with poly. Worked like a charm. The ca seals it and it doesnt have to be a beutiful finish before you use your finish of choice.

andyk

The method for CA that works for me: Turn lathe speed all the way down (I have a VS Jet), get a paper towel and but some BLO on it, take another paper towel and put just a little dab of CA on it, wipe the CA on the blank with the lathe running at low speed, turn the speed up all the way and quickly wipe with the BLO. This evens out the CA and helps it cure. If you don't have a VS lathe just do it at your regular speed. My first few attempts I used to much CA and you could see ridges. I used less and the problem went away.

I can't take credit for this I picked it up on another forum.

Top Bottom