Pen extends way too far

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

negid

I just finished a Cigar of Cocbolo and Blackwood only to find that after I put it together the nib extends way too far. Can I just trim the spring until it extends correctly.

The nib is at the 'correct extended' point when it should be all the way inside the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

negid

Doh!!

Let's say that theoretically you are right....now what?

altaciii

I did my first cast last night and thought it came out beautiful. I was so excited to turn it that when I pressed it together I found the same problem Whayne had. The nib extended out way to far. I took the pen apart today and remeasured, I was short on my bottom barrel. As steve said, chalk it up to experience. I guess my first cast will be put on the wall as decoration. At least I was able to save the cigar kit!

its_virgil

You can shorten the refill and keep the pen for personal use or add an opps band. Read this article: http://penmakersguild.com/articles/mistakes.pdf Cigar pen fixes are addressed toward the end of the article.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by negid

I just finished a Cigar of Cocbolo and Blackwood only to find that after I put it together the nib extends way too far. Can I just trim the spring until it extends correctly.

The nib is at the 'correct extended' point when it should be all the way inside the pen.

stevers

I tried gluing a tranny once, glued the whole thing solid as could be. Needless to say, that one is a "display" pen. (I glued it in the closed position)
I also have a couple of Euro's with shortened refills. We all make mistakes.
Ya Johnnie, I had a big expensive glob. Melted the cup and flowed all over the bench. About 6 or 7 ounces lost.

All in all, it's not a big deal. Just one set of blanks and possibly a kit. I have lost quite a few kits over the last few years. Drop in the bucket over the long run.

negid

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll try a small oops band at the nib and see how that looks.

Rifleman1776

Cigars are ridiculously critical as to the length, or depth, of the insertion of the transmission. Must be exact. And, sadly, I have been told ;) that they are almost impossible to disassemble. Unfortunately, you may have to chalk this one up as a loss or just use in your shop.

negid

It's just my 8th pen or so. I'm nowhere near ready to start selling...I'm barely willing to start giving these things away. Although this one did turn out pretty darn nice.

Jarheaded

Just keep going and don't worry about it. We have all done either the same thing or something close. That is how we knew quickly what had happened. Just keep turning and forget about it. Life goes on.:)

Top Bottom