Pen exploded

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan S

Hey there,
One of the pens I recently completed exploded and ruined the clothing of the woman I gave it to. Is this a common problem or am I just pretty danged lucky on my first time out? I have to say I'm pretty ticked about this. It was not a cheap kit (tycoon) nor were they cheap jeans.
Thanks,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Actually pen explosions are quite common! I would say 1 out of 5 will explode within the first two weeks of use if the user doesn't keep the pen tilted at 10 degrees when not in use.

Did you not tell her to keep the pen tilted?

ctubbs

Dan, i have had many pens explode, blow up, disintegrate on the lathe but never once in service. Was she carrying it in her jean pocket where it may have been stressed or badly bent? Even a Bic will come apart under those conditions.
Charles

cwolfs69

Actually pen explosions are quite common! I would say 1 out of 5 will explode within the first two weeks of use if the user doesn't keep the pen tilted at 10 degrees when not in use.

Did you not tell her to keep the pen tilted?
no wonder ive had so many problems with these. ive been telling my folks 8½ degrees

warthog

Pen Explosion

Does this mean that women can't carry these pens in their purses? BY explosion...are you referring to the pen losing its ink by flowing backwards or just falling apart or what? This is all very confusing to me.:confused:

tim self

I've never heard of one exploding either, have had a cap unscrew and ink out because of that. Definately need more info on this one. Even with the cheapest refill.

diamundgem

I have left pens in a hot car and they start to leak but have never had one explode. I think you probably mean that it leaked. heat will cause them to do that

t001xa22

The only problem I've noticed is that on rare occasions, the cartridge will leak out the ball tip, usually under extreme heat conditions and/or in contact with a lot of perspiration. This seems to be true only on the stock Cross or Parker cartridges. On the contrary, I have never had a problem with the upgrade units like Private Reserve, Schmidt, and Hauser.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The only problem I've noticed is that on rare occasions, the cartridge will leak out the ball tip, usually under extreme heat conditions and/or in contact with a lot of perspiration. This seems to be true only on the stock Cross or Parker cartridges. On the contrary, I have never had a problem with the upgrade units like Private Reserve, Schmidt, and Hauser.
I've never heard of a pen "exploding" or of a Hauser being an upgrade.

nativewooder

I didn't know that pens "explode"!:eek: I would question where the pen was and did she "explode" the pen when she bent over or squatted down!:biggrin: Or if there were any tire treads on the remains!:biggrin:

KenV

Hope it was not around an airport or an airplane -- we could replace removing shoes with having to have pens prohibited from airports.

ttpenman

Hope Homeland Security doesn't read this forum. Of course they won't bother to check out whether it's real or not.

The TSA agents will all become pen collectors.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

sbwertz

Just came back from a visit with my dad in OK. I gave him one of the very first pens I made...slimline with the stock kit refill. It was about 18 months old. I pulled it apart and found that the refill had leaked all inside the pen. Wasn't leaking out, but I had to use alcohol and q-tips to get all the ink out of the pen and get it cleaned up. They have been having very hot weather, and AC is turned off if he is gone from the house any length of time. I don't know if that is what caused the refill to leak, but it surely made a mess.

I replaced it with a Fisher Space Pen refill from my purse pen. I've started replacing all the stock refills with genuine Cross refills, or Fisher refills.

Dan S

I should have been a bit more clear in this day and age. She had the pen in her pocket and all of the ink leaked out all over her clothing. She was not happy. Outside of these details I don't have more information. I just needed to vent I suppose.

Thanks,
Dan

Timebandit

If it was a fountain pen, the refill could have come lose in the body of the pen and she had it stored with the cap down in her pocket and all the ink leaked out.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I should have been a bit more clear in this day and age. She had the pen in her pocket and all of the ink leaked out all over her clothing. She was not happy. Outside of these details I don't have more information. I just needed to vent I suppose.

Thanks,
Dan
You still have not mentioned the type of pen(fountain?). More info and I'm sure you will get some good prevention ideas for the future.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I just went through several shirts with ballpoints in my pocket that "wicked" into the lint in the pocket. I washed them, usting standard "spotting technique" (detergent on the spot, let it soak, use toothbrush, etc) Three of the four came completely clean on the second washing. The fourth was a knit shirt (polo type), which was, indeed, ruined.

The faster you get to washing it, the better your chances.

I too would suspect these pants are tight and she "mis-shaped" the pen in driving the car. But no matter what you say, you are unlikely to make her happy.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does", which undoubtedly is NOT what she wants to hear.

Pete275

Best remover of pen ink I've found believe it or not is aerosol hair spray. Also it seems the cheaper the better.

Wayne

gwilki

You mentioned that it was a Tycoon. So, it was either a roller ball or a fountain pen, as I don't think that the Tycoon comes in a ballpoint. Roller ball refills are sealed, so I'm guessing that it was a fountain pen. (I hope that my Sherlock Holmes lessons are still working.) So, maybe, either the cartridge or the converter loosened from the feed. If it's the converter, you should check to see if the fit is tight. If not, toss it and replace it with a new one. If it was a cartridge, just toss it and put in a new one. Make sure that either is pushed up tightly into the feed. If the pen simply leaked from the nib itself, as fountain pens can from time to time, make sure that she does not put it into her pocket upside down.

ctubbs

If it is a fountain, keep a spare cart in the top. That will keep the open cart in place so it can't leak. I had one come loose on me once, luck was with me as the pen was in my pocket and did not leak.
Charles

Jgrden

I think it was the fabric friction that caused it to overheat.

And what is it with this 10 degree tilt stuff. Are you pulling my leg????

Top Bottom