Pen Engraving Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonR

I have seen some awesome engraved pens on this site. Does anyone know if an image can be engraved that wraps around the pen?

Instead of having a straight side view of a fish, I was wondering if a curved-looking (like it was swimming) fish could be engraved on the upper portion of a pen that wraps around 1/2 to 3/4 of the barrel?

I've already contacted Ken @ Kallenshaan Woods. Any other good engravers?

broitblat

Yes, an image can be wrapped around the pen. It is apparently significantly more time consuming, etc. but Ken has done one of these for me. It requires the engraver to have a rotary attachment.

-Barry

jjudge

Ken Nelsen, the producer of those awesome puzzle and stars+stripes pen kits, is the engraver to whom I've been sending pens.

See examples of the 'rotary' engraving of images here:
http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=3699

I just got 2 of these back .... Lord Byron and Aguirre & a monkey, engravd on antler. Its $25 to get a rotary engraving. Send an image that is 300 dpi. Ken is really easy to email and work with.

Here are some "lessons learned" for myself:
1- If you take a pict from googling around, that is screen resolution, it probably will look average to not-so-good. So, scan a good picture in at 300 dpi.

2- Antler is OK, but it has gray, brown streaks, spots, etc.
This could be distracting for the image. So, use faux antler, ivory or off-white corian ... if I want a white background.
(Lord Byron looks like he's frowning with smudges on his forehead :)

3- Engraving on antler leaves a brown color.
So, black ebony body with engraved-antler cap looks a bit off.
I need to move to a brown wood ... or fill the engraving with black.

4- PRE-PROCESS the picture
I did not spend enough time preprocessing the image.
I need to (a) switch to grayscale, (b) play with the levels to ensure "distance" between the shades of gray ---or-- find some Photoshop filter of some kind that would help this.

-- joe

Top Bottom