Pen Engraving- Before or After CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

I've never had any of my pens engraved, but it looks like that is about to change. So it got me thinking, do I turn the pen, get it engraved and Then apply the finish (I use CA)? Or completely finish the pen, Then engrave? What has worked best for you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

I have found it works best to put one or two coats of thin CA on the wood, then engrave and use color fill if necessary. Afterwards, continue to build up the CA finish until you can no longer feel the engraving. I've done some slimlines where no finish or color fill was applied and they look good, but I'm not sure how they will hold up with time.

raar25

After, color fill if necessary assembly and done. I have noticed people seem to like feeling the engraving so I don't go back and do anything after.

1080Wayne

On a light coloured wood , the burnt colour created by the laser will make a nice contrast , and colour fill isn`t necessary unless you want a specific colour . On a darker wood , the engraving may not show up as well unless a lighter fill is used .

joefrog

The ones I've engraved turned out nicely. I've done a few using CA finish, and about 10-12 finished with wax.

I didn't think of filling it with CA finish -- maybe I'll give that a shot in the future!

Carl Fisher

We completely finish our pens before the tubes go off to the engraver. When they come back, fill with medium of your choice, let dry, wax and done. No problems yet.

Occasionally there will be a burr left on the CA from the process, but nothing a fresh hit of 12k micromesh and some novus can't polish out...then buff and wax again.

Rfturner

I have used a local trophy engraver that has always engraved right over the CA no problems. I always use the finished blanks for several reasons if you do a colorfill the paint wont stick to the CA, i have found that people like the engraving to be left where they can feel it because it is a step higher than what is normally offered in commercial products. Light wood either leave burnt or dark colorfill. Dark wood light colorfill. If the customer wants a specific color i will mix it for them and use that.

Top Bottom