Pen Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtrusselle

Seeking advice on pen engraving. A friend asked me if I could make some pens for his wife's business with engraving. What are the options? I've done a bit of research on buying a laser engraving machine but they seem to be expensive. Is subcontracting an option?

Thanks,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

Nothing against Ken, I have seen his work, and its beautiful, but how about visiting a local trophy shop. For simple engraving, they really can't be beat. I pay only $3 a line. Now for something more extravagant, Kens the guy.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alex, you must be lucky with your local engraver. Many of them do great work, but don't have the ability to engrave on a curved surface. My friend checked locally and could only find flat surface engraving.

I have found Ken's service and results to be outstanding.

M

monkeynutz

My local WC has a big Epilog laser, and will run my stuff while I stand there kibitzing... :wink: Prices are reasonable, too. If you can handle the turnaround time, though, I definitely add a +1 for Ken.

A quick tip: Your larger pens are generally easier to laser, as small diameters will distort the image more (2-D image projected on 3-D surface). Also, make certain that the laser power is adjusted if you are working with very thin layers of wood, as too much power will result in etching right down to the tubes. DAMHIKT

Gulfcoast

Subcontracting the engraving is probably the way to go, at least to start.
I agree with Wood-of-1kind, contact Stan Cook, he does excellet engraving; he also is great to work with, fast and and has very low prices.
http:/www.longhollowpens.com/engraving.html

Here is a picture of an ivory pen he just did for me.

Joe

Attachments

• ElIvLghtHse1aa.jpg
    ElIvLghtHse1aa.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 172

SherryD

There are several of us that can laser engrave, not only on the flat but using a rotary as well. Send PM if you are interested. Also send PM for telephone number and I would be happy to discuss laser machine brands and what wattage (that is the real secret) to buy. I have 60 watt and 120 watt machines and am not limited to anything in the wood engraving arena. You may be able to get by with 35 - 40 watt, but if you ever want to do anything besides pens you will wnat the ability to upgrade to minimum 40 watt, preferably 60 watt. Just my opinion here, but have been doing this for years and have never regretted one day the investment in 60 watt Universal brand of laser machine. Yes I agree with others that Ken does nice work, but there are several of us that also do nice work.

Daniel

I've taken my pens to a local trophy shop before. they all look at the pen and start getting concerned about how thick and dense the material is. I prefer to send it to one of our members that are used to the pens and materials used etc. Plus the last trophy shop I checked with wanted $15.00 a pen.

buckethat

My mom runs a small laser engraving business in Minnesota she usually charges around 2 dollars to put a couple of text lines on a slim line. She has a small epilog 45 watt laser. But can also engrave on wood cases for pens and kits. She also has a quick turnaround time on orders.
thanks for reading
Sam

titan2

My mom runs a small laser engraving business in Minnesota she usually charges around 2 dollars to put a couple of text lines on a slim line. She has a small epilog 45 watt laser. But can also engrave on wood cases for pens and kits. She also has a quick turnaround time on orders.
thanks for reading
Sam

Well......does she have a web site or something in which we can use to contact her?

THANKS.........

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've seen some great work here from members who do engraving, and this
is IN NO WAY meant to denigrate their work at all..
.. but when it comes to pens?

I've never seen a pen that looks better with an engraving than without it.
Something about it just looks cheap to me.. it ruins the beauty of the wood.
Sort of like gilding the lily.

Engraved boxes look great. And I understand personalizing the pens .. but
I've never seen an engraved pen that looks good to me.

But hey .. I've never been accused of having good taste.. :tongue:

GouletPens

I've seen some great work here from members who do engraving, and this
is IN NO WAY meant to denigrate their work at all..
.. but when it comes to pens?

I've never seen a pen that looks better with an engraving than without it.
Something about it just looks cheap to me.. it ruins the beauty of the wood.
Sort of like gilding the lily.

Engraved boxes look great. And I understand personalizing the pens .. but
I've never seen an engraved pen that looks good to me.

But hey .. I've never been accused of having good taste.. :tongue:

I couldn't agree with you more Charlie. I don't think engraving a name or phrase ever enhances the look of a pen. The only time engraving actually enhances the style of a pen is with the intricate inlays and things you can do with a laser that just can't be done by hand. HOWEVER, before I am judged as a hypocrite, engraving is a necessary feature. It's all about the customer. Almost anyone who buys (or receives one as a gift) will perceive it to have greater value if it is personalized with their name or something personal to them. The pen and craftsmanship is personal to us and the craftsmen, but to the customer, it's the engraving. That's just what I've found to be the case with my clientelle. But it's also about who's buying your pens.

jttheclockman

I will disagree with the ones that say it degrades a pen. A pen like the one shown with the ivory is a perfect example. That etching adds character and style to the pen for sure. Another area would be like a wedding pen. Something with a plain blank gets enhanced in my humble opinion. The right kit and right blankl works well with engraving for sure.

Gulfcoast

Hey GouletPens ---

I checked your site, and I hate to tell you this, but some rat fink sneaked in an engraved the pen at the very top of your site --- must be someone who heard you don't think that engraving enhances a pen :)

Joe

GouletPens

Right on Daniel....when I'm making a pen for art, I don't engrave. When I'm making it for money, I'll engrave whatever you like! That's what makes the difference between a starving artist and a nearly starving artist:eat:

Gulfcoast

Daniel,
I did read the whole post -- now if I understand it correctly, he doesn't think that engraving enhances a pen, but will engrave a pen if a customer wants it.
However the pen at the top of his site is engraved with his company name, did a customer request that?
-- lighten up, it was just an attempt at humor.

Joe

Daniel

Joe, Actually he says the it is a "Necessary Feature" in the example you pointed out the engraving is indeed a necessary feature in order for that pen to serve it's purpose. Which to me appears to be to display the name of his company.

GouletPens

Joe-living. It started as a hobby just over a year ago, but it's my full time thing as of about two months ago.

Hey, let's not split hairs over the fundamentals of engraving. It is what it is, an enhancement. I don't have a stance one way or another. If someone wants to buy a pen and engrave it, fine, otherwise I'd just as soon forget about it. Out of the 400+ pens I've sold in the last year probably 20 or 30 of them have NOT been engraved. But I don't do a lot of shows, I deal mainly with corporate orders and online sales.

george

Doe I also offer engraving to my customers (it is done by my local engraver), lately they more often decide for more personilazed certificate of authenticity (with name, date, few kind words ....), than engraved pen. Wonder why. It can not be the price; guess they like the untached wood surface more.

Top Bottom