pen engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Is there anyone on here that engraves pens? I have one that I need to get engraved.

It is a bolt action, wrapped in deer antler.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PhilRose

Pardon the hijack of the thread, but I am also in need of an engraver for a single pen. Any help appreciates.

Is there anyone on here that engraves pens? I have one that I need to get engraved.

It is a bolt action, wrapped in deer antler.

mmayo

I was asked about an engraved pen. Please take me to school about the process. I usually use CA but have recently made a few with Doctors Walnut products. I have pens, what do I do next ?

Thanks for replies

Mark- Whether you use CA or Doc. Walnut finish, an engraver usually uses a laser to engrave a persons name or company logo onto the pen. It is best to have the finish on it but not yet assembled. After it is engraved, you usually must fill it with some contrasting color in order for it to be seen. Lots of the guys with laser will fill them for a fee. I bought my own "color fill" and do it myself. Hope this helps.

sseamen

Keith,
Redstone Recognition has quoted me a pretty reasonable price for engraving pens in the past. The Craft Shop will also do it, but they need to make a profit on it.

mrcook4570

Engraving after the finish has been applied will make clean up much easier. The laser will leave a small amount of residue which wipes away cleanly from a finished surface. However, bare wood will allow the residue to wick into the fibers of the wood and then it will have to be sanded away.

Greg578

I have a laser engraver and I have two pens I engraved one wood and one acrylic. I'm trying to figure out a good solution on filling the engraved portion. Who uses what to fill the holes?

RickLong

I have a laser engraver and I have two pens I engraved one wood and one acrylic. I'm trying to figure out a good solution on filling the engraved portion. Who uses what to fill the holes?

Hey Greg,

I am still learning my laser, it is a couple of months old. For color filling, I use acrylic paint. When I engrave most materials, I cover it with blue masking tape. Before removing the tap, I paint the engraved area with my desired color. (fwiw: you can get metal colors: gold, silver, bronze, etc in acrylic paint at Amazon, Micheals, Jo Anns, Wal Mart, etc.)...

You could always use a fine tip marker if you just want to darken the engraving too...

Hope this helps...

Rick

Barouh

I use Recognition Experts in Rochester, NY. Pretty reasonable and they do good work. They do color fills for a couple of extra bucks.

Top Bottom