guido512

Empress ulivo4.jpg

Empress ulivo3.jpg

Empress ulivo.jpg

Empress ulivo2.jpg
Guido

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

That's a particularly NICE piece of olive wood. And you did it proud! One of my favorites to turn. Great smell! Russ

turncrazy43

Very nice pen and the olive wood is really nice with that kit. Well done.

robutacion

Is this European olivewood?

I would be interested in see what the OP answer will be but, from his location and the fact that, Italy has the most and best Olive wood trees in the world, particularly in the South so, this would be a typical piece of wood being cut from one of those old trees, near the tree butt/joint to the root ball...!

That is exactly what I find in the trees that I have been cutting/salvaging in this area as one of the first areas the Australian Settlers selected to come to, due to the identical 4 season weather as most European countries.

Some of those trees I processed/have, are over 150 years old and this is the very reason why I haven shown what sort of wood they are make of/contain from the smallest of branches to the root ball that can be the size of a small car.

While the grain is very accurate, the pics colour is not, there is too much brightness in them, making the wood look a lot lighter in colours than it is.

In fact, wasn't that long ago that I went through through lots of troubles to photograph a piece of Olive root that I turned into a bowl/vessel, the colours just don't seem to come right from the cameras, I don't know exactly why so, I'm not a bit surprised with these pics colours, easy to do...!

I hope this adds a little extra on your Olive wood knowledge, and I'm looking forwards to know how close I am with my "interpretation" of the wood used...!

Cheers
George

guido512

More photos of the pen
Empress ulivo3.jpg
The wood is olive from Calabria, a table, at the point near the root
Empress ulivo4.jpg
Altre foto della penna
Il legno è ulivo calabrese , da una tavola, nel punto vicino alla radice
ciauu

edstreet

I have been reading much this AM on olives and learned quite a bit.

There are thousands of cultivars of the Olea europaea olive tree. In Italy alone at least three hundred cultivars have been enumerated, but only a few are grown to a large extent.

Also

The olive tree, Olea europaea, is an evergreen tree or shrub native to the Mediterranean, Asia and Africa. It is short and squat, and rarely exceeds 8–15 metres (26–49 ft) in height. However, the Pisciottana, a unique variety comprising 40,000 trees found only in the area around Pisciotta in the Campania region of southern Italy often exceeds 8–15 metres (26–49 ft) with correspondingly large trunk diameters.

Barnea is a modern dual-purpose cultivar bred in Israel to be disease-resistant and to produce a generous crop. The oil has a strong flavour with a hint of green leaf. Barnea is widely grown in Israel and in the southern hemisphere, particularly in Australia and New Zealand.

Maalot (Hebrew for merits) is a disease-resistant, Eastern Mediterranean cultivar derived from the North African Chemlali cultivar in Israel. The olive is medium sized, round, has a fruity flavour and is used almost exclusively for oil production.

Nabali originated in Palestine[49] and is known locally as Baladi, which, along with Souri and Malissi, is considered to produce among the highest quality olive oil in the world.

JerrySambrook

George, Some of the reason why th e colors might not look right is due to the camera you are using, and the light you are photgraphing under.

Not saying the camera is bad, and you are doing anything wrong.

Just that the camera might need to be set for the light used, and/ or white balance.

Ed can probably do a better job of explaining this than I.
I am really digging into this now for the same reasons though.

Top Bottom