Pen for an electrician

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bally15

Hello everyone
I've been asked to make a pen for someone who is an electrician. They were hoping to make it themed but I'm drawing a blank, literally. The hunter pen, tons of ideas but this is a tough one. i only sell to cover material costs so the price can be kept down easily
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello everyone
I've been asked to make a pen for someone who is an electrician. They were hoping to make it themed but I'm drawing a blank, literally. The hunter pen, tons of ideas but this is a tough one. i only sell to cover material costs so the price can be kept down easily
Matt

Is he a Union Electrician??? If not copper braided pen is the answer. There are those that cast these.

I am working on a few different ones right now.

IMGP0709-1.jpg

IMGP0608.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Question

Hello everyone
Matt

Is he a Union Electrician??? If not copper braided pen is the answer. There are those that cast these.

Just curious, what difference does it make if he/she is union or not; and then the suggestion for a copper braid???

My grandfather was union, my father was union, both electricians. I have no idea what this designation make a difference for? Just a question.

Oh, Love the copper braid pens! Would make nice gifts for union, non union, and anyone else.

Mr Vic

You might also wrap a tube with copper wire and either solder or cast it depending on the gauge. Also maybe wrap with the strands of Cat5 cable and cast. The decal or label cast is also a good choice.

jttheclockman

Was wondering the same thing.

Though for a union elec you could make a decal with the IBEW logo?

Bingo. That is the reason I asked. Because you can make a decal with the IBEW logo. That is what I am working on. if he is not union then he does not get to carry the logo. :)

jttheclockman

Hello everyone
Matt

Just curious, what difference does it make if he/she is union or not; and then the suggestion for a copper braid???

My grandfather was union, my father was union, both electricians. I have no idea what this designation make a difference for? Just a question.

Oh, Love the copper braid pens! Would make nice gifts for union, non union, and anyone else.

Mark I answered in the other post too but my thought was if he or she was union then the IBEW logo as a decal is perfect. If he or she is not then they do not carry the logo. Yes the copper braid is for all electricians. As I said I am currently working on a few ideas right now.

Glad to hear you have some of my Brothers in your family. A 44 year member here.

Gregf

I do like the copper braid idea.
Will keep this in mind for "Thanks" presents for the electricians for data center projects.
Have worked with a lot of electricians over the years.
Wish I could have given them one of these.

During my last office floor remodel project, I gave the facilities guys pens made from scap window sill, corian like, material.

Last edited:
just for something different...

what about a blank (maybe blue) with lightning through it? Its an idea ive been toying with for a "Thor" blank

PenPal

Many years ago I made apen called Sparky 2 my remaining pic is small.

I cut the top from white Corian the hex cut African Ebony base, the centre band made the thread it went down gangbusters for a mate.

I became a Sparky in the 1950,s when we did Auto Electrical work as part of our 5 yr apprenticeship.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Sparkie 2-001.JPG
    Sparkie 2-001.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 273

Skie_M

Hmmm ... wondering why nobody's brought up the use of a circuit board blank for an electrician's pen ... who else would understand the components and layout of the circuitry better???

Charlie_W

What about using a cartridge fuse or two for the body with a wire nut nib. The clip could be hammered copper(for strength) attached to the top by a green ground screw. A copper wire wrap makes the centerband.
Now, this says Electrician immediately to me!

mecompco

Hmmm ... wondering why nobody's brought up the use of a circuit board blank for an electrician's pen ... who else would understand the components and layout of the circuitry better???

Perhaps an electronics person. I see electrical and electronics as two different fields.

Yup, I can tell you what the components on a circuit board are, but when it came time for me to replace a GFI outlet I could not get it to work (Googling, YouTube and all)--had to call my electrician friend to come over and fix it. Two different fields for sure.

Regards,
Michael

Bryguy

How did you make the bit in the second pic? Is that a custom casting?

Good pens and bad jokes never go out of style.
The cap was machined from Aluminum and then etched using the process described by Brad Gothard (see Library)

Bats

The cap was machined from Aluminum and then etched using the process described by Brad Gothard (see Library)
Any chance of a link? All I could find by Brad were on anodizing and rings, and got no hits at all for etch/etched/etching.

Top Bottom