Pen Drill Bit Set?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thefunkyP

Has anyone found a set of drill bits that contains bits for Barons, churchills, slimlines, and panache pens?

I find it incredible inconvenient to buy these individually and then try to remember which is which and keep them organized.

Just curious.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I made a bit holder out of a 2 x 4, drilled holes with each bit, then wrote the name of the kit and the size next to each hole. The bit only fits in the hole it was used to drill.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by rherrell

I spray paint mine. White-Baron, Silver-JG, Blue-Perfect Fit, you get the idea.[8D]

This would be a great IDEA, but doesn't the paint wear off in about two uses???

GoodTurns

As for storage I drilled a bunch of 3/4" holes in a 2x4 then labeled woodcraft pen tubes with the sizes...easy to grab what I need when I start drilling. As far as a set goes...if you think you have all possible sizes, one of the kit companies will invent a new size!;)

rherrell

Ed, only the bottom half that actually contacts the wood gets worn away. I've had my Baron set for about 3 years and they're still white, barely.;):D

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I have one of those plastic parts organizers that I got from Canadian tire (they have them everywhere, though - Menards, etc.)

Each drill bit goes into a drawer, and gets a label
(e.g. Nouveau Bottle Stopper drill bit 11/32)

Bushings go into a little fishing tackle box (in their little baggies), and that goes in one of the drawers...micromesh in another of hte big bottom drawers...

Works well enough for me, and all my bits stay organized and safe...

bitshird

Originally posted by Monty

If you looking for a set of bits, a lot of us have this 115 piece set from HF -
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1611
Monty, the only problem with the 115 pc. drill index is it stops at 1/2 inch, which leaves you up the creek for Churchill's, & El Grandes,possibly some others, also the drills aren't quite as good as most American or European made drills, they have a tendency to wander due to the fact that they aren't always correctly sharpened at the factory, However, I believe that a drill Doctor will sharpen them and get the point on center, although I would be laughed out of my job for recommending such a tool [B)]
We buy 3 or 4 sets a semester for the school, and once they get sharpened properly, they are adequate for mild steel, so should work in most woods, we get basically the same sets, but we buy from MSC. :( [:eek:)], I drilled a piece of oak and engraved the sizes on some Aluminum and glued that on the board, still have to remember what kits use what. The only drill that is hard to find, is the 13.3 MM Curchill,- El Grande. [8][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

JohnU

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

I have one of those plastic parts organizers that I got from Canadian tire (they have them everywhere, though - Menards, etc.)

Each drill bit goes into a drawer, and gets a label
(e.g. Nouveau Bottle Stopper drill bit 11/32)

Bushings go into a little fishing tackle box (in their little baggies), and that goes in one of the drawers...micromesh in another of hte big bottom drawers...

Works well enough for me, and all my bits stay organized and safe...
I do the same. Found one at menards with the small drawers so each one is labled for bits, bushings, pen mills and micro. It also helps me keep the table top around the drill press and lathe clean!

thefunkyP

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I have a organizer with little drawers but the bits I buy from A.S. won't fit in them. I may need to look at getting a cordless drill, so that I can make my own custom bit holder. Until then I may barrow some of my wife's paint markers and color coordinate them for now.

Thanks again.

Daniel

I found one set that comes close, but tstill has a problem.
It is HSS Black Oxide Coated 118 degree "Taper Shank Drill" set. It is 16 bits starting at 33/64ths and going to 3/4 in 1/64 increments. Cost is $627.86 from MSC Industrial Supply Co. their web site is mscdirect.com not sure what you can do about the taper shank part.

randyrls

Originally posted by Daniel

I found one set that comes close, but tstill has a problem.
It is HSS Black Oxide Coated 118 degree "Taper Shank Drill" set. It is 16 bits starting at 33/64ths and going to 3/4 in 1/64 increments. Cost is $627.86 from MSC Industrial Supply Co. their web site is mscdirect.com not sure what you can do about the taper shank part.

Here is a tip for your drill bits:
I always cut my blanks long and trim after drilling. When drilling the hole, hold the tube against the blank and mark the drill bit with a Sharpie marker. Drill into the blank until the mark disappears. You now have a hole exactly the correct depth for the tube. Trim off the uncut portion of the blank.
Rule: Cut long, drill from center outward, drill short, trim to length.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom