Pen/Display design contest...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Well, I for one have been working on an entry for the contest---but, will likely be a few weeks before I have it ready to enter. I hope many others are working on their entries too.

Tom

tipusnr

I will be entering, however, thanks to going slightly braindead on vacation in Kauai - I have second degree burns on the tops of both feet and must let them heal before getting at the lathe again. I won't go into how it happened. The story is long on wind and short on laughs!

The doctor says no more than two weeks!!

pecartus

Okay Ed,

I have one finished with another almost done, now according to the rules, I can only have one in a class, is that correct? So how do you determine which class you belong in, especially when you don't really have any other display,s to compare with[?]

Doghouse

I will be entering the contest. I notice that the stand made a large difference in the stopper event, so it will take me a little while to make something to display the pen on.

Having only been turning for 4 mths now I will be entering in the novice area.

Doghouse

If you go to the Yahoo groups Stopper http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopper/ , you will find the list of winners. From that, go to the photo's link, select boxed stoppers and show all. You will see all the entries.

I don't want this misunderstood, it is not an attack but an expression of my opinion in hopes it will sway the plans for this contest.

I do not understand why the people who won second and third, won. Yes they turned some great hollow forms that are outstanding in their own vein, but it was a stopper contest. I assume that to win the pen contest, I should build a queen Ann style desk to hold the pen? Should I spend more time and effort on a different subject matter than the one being judged than on the actual point of the contest? This is a serious consideration, is this going to be a pen turning contest or a pen stand creation contest?

tipusnr

I'm with Doghouse on this one. I understand that, particularly since the judges will only have the picture and not the pen to judge, that presentation of the pen in its best light will be necessarily important. But I'm not going to spend a lot of time designing and building a pen stand for the contest.

But then I don't expect to win either. I am doing this to participate in an activity held by a good group.

YoYoSpin

Hey guys...looks like the juices are really flowing here. I'm thrilled to see all this brainpower being expended on our little contest.

Regarding the unexpected controversy over our first contest results, all I can say is this is a Pen AND Display design contest...the thinking was that there's only so much you can do with a pen (or stopper), and to really make it a challenge, we needed to spice it up a bit...hence, the display angle. So, just do your best and have some fun with it.

Doghouse

You are running the contest so you set the rules. I do like the fact that this one is being split up so that novices will not be competing against seasoned professionals. (Like I would have a chance competing against someone like yourself.:) )

Please do not think that this is controversy. I am one person and my opinion is my own. I did not think up the contest, nor did I judge it. If it is thought that I am causing trouble with this please say so and I will shut up.

tipusnr

Now that I take time to empty my head into a pensieve (for all you Harry Potter fans), I do remember that it was mentioned as a combined contest very early on. Can do, will do, do-do!!

daledut

I will also be entering the contest. I for one like the idea of the stand being part of the contest. Most of us were into wood working before starting pen making. This is a chance to combine some skills. This could be fun.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by daledut
<br />I will also be entering the contest.

Dale,

I guess you didn't read the fine print. PMG members, and those who have too much creative capabilities are banned from entering. [;)]

Just kidding.

melogic

I really think this is going to be fun. I can't wait to see the end results. There is a lot of talent in this forum and a lot of creativity. This is almost like waiting for Santa to come, because I know there is going to be a lot of good things to see. Good Luck to everyone.

daledut

Tim,

I thought I read the fine print, but figured since I am one of the least creative in the PMG I would enter anyway [;)]
Actually, I was looking at some of the Stoppers and stands that were in that contest and I must say I feel quite intimidated, but I am still going to try.
I can tell you this, I will NOT be turning any hollow forms for my pen stand. I am not even close to wanting to try that.

patarini

Finally got a shop that stays in one place == will be glad to make a fool of myself and enter but will take a whils to design, build, screwup, beat head with lathe, redesign, rebuild rescrewup -- etc etc! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom